Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ngg ngg is offline

Default working with names and functions

I am trying to split out a name into 3 separate columns in excel. I am
working with names that have a middle initial and ones that don't all in the
same worksheet.

example: in cell A1, I have Smith/John L

I want column B1 to have John
I want column C1 to have L
I want column D1 to have Smith

This formulat setup would also have to work if I have Wilson/David in column
A2.

I would want column B2 to have David
I would want column C2 to be blank
I would want column D2 to have Wilson

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you don't want to go with the T to C method, see Chip Pearson's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

Note the download workbook for your perusal.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP