Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Summary Sheet

I have a work sheet where I record daily costs for each item used.
I have a seperate summary sheet which I want to show that days cost for an
item and a cumulative total for each item. I have tried VLookUp but cannot
seem to get it to roll on each day

Any help would be appreciated
--
JohnM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

John,

You don't say how your sheets are laid out so I am assuming that dates ate
in Column A, Items in Column B and Amounts in Columns C.

For today's total for a Item 1:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A125=TODAY())*(B1:B125="Item 1")*(C1:C125))

For the Cumulative total for Item 1:

=SUMIF(B:B,"Item 1",C:C)

Note that SUMPRODUCT() cannot use whole columns but SUMIF() can.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"JohnM" wrote in message
I have a work sheet where I record daily costs for each item used.
I have a seperate summary sheet which I want to show that days cost for an
item and a cumulative total for each item. I have tried VLookUp but
cannot
seem to get it to roll on each day

Any help would be appreciated
--
JohnM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sory should have explained more

Items are in Col A
Dates Run across the columns D,E,F,G etc

The Items are split into sections, at the bottom of each section there is a
total for that day and a cumulative total. These are what should be shown o
the summary

Thanks
--
JohnM

"JohnM" wrote in message
I have a work sheet where I record daily costs for each item used.
I have a seperate summary sheet which I want to show that days cost for an
item and a cumulative total for each item. I have tried VLookUp but
cannot
seem to get it to roll on each day

Any help would be appreciated
--
JohnM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi John,

I am still having trouble visualising your data.

The Items are split into sections, at the bottom of each section there is
total for that day and a cumulative total.

Does this mean that you have a label at the bottom of each section saying
something like "Total Item 1"?

If so then with "Total Item 1" in A2 of your Summary sheet and dates in row
1 from B1 onwards then

=VLOOKUP($A$2,Sheet1!$A$1:$J$24,MATCH(B1,Sheet1!$A $1:$J$1,FALSE),FALSE)

worked for me.

If it will help you can send me a sample workbook with dummy data for
confidentiality

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"JohnM" wrote in message
I have a work sheet where I record daily costs for each item used.
I have a seperate summary sheet which I want to show that days cost for
an
item and a cumulative total for each item. I have tried VLookUp but
cannot
seem to get it to roll on each day

Any help would be appreciated
--
JohnM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My wife says that I expect people to know what I am thinking without me
telling them!

When I said send me a sample workbook I meant privately by changing my
e-mail address as it says in my signature. (mailinator.com is a spam/virus
trap site that holds e-mails for a few hours and then deletes them)

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"JohnM" wrote in message
I have a work sheet where I record daily costs for each item used.
I have a seperate summary sheet which I want to show that days cost
for
an
item and a cumulative total for each item. I have tried VLookUp but
cannot
seem to get it to roll on each day

Any help would be appreciated
--
JohnM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

JohnM wrote:
I have a work sheet where I record daily costs for each item used.
I have a seperate summary sheet which I want to show that days cost
for an item and a cumulative total for each item. I have tried
VLookUp but cannot seem to get it to roll on each day

Any help would be appreciated

Hi John,

try with SUMIF function or with SUMPRODUCT.

If you don't give us some more details about your data and/or your workbook
it's quite impossible to say you more...

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just to round off the thread here is the reply I got from John privately:

Start of John's Reply
Thanks for the prompt reply it is most kind

I think I have come across the solution

I followed what you said and whilst doing so I noticed that the Report
Number on the Summary sheet kept getting highlighted - this is set at "1"
Along the top of the details sheet there are Report Numbers - I changed the
number on the Summary sheet to a random number (28) and hey presto the
summary sheet was completed - simple if you know how. Problem is nobody
told us the easy way

John

End of John's reply

--