X82 X82 is offline
Junior Member

Default Importing multiple text files and getting certain figures.

Hi guys.

I will try to explain this situation best I can.
I have about 500 .txt files. Here is a link to example files, 4 in total.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0...ZKMWlSUGs/edit

The red parts of the files are the figure I need importing into excel. So there is about 500 txt files with 4 different variations of the file.

I also would like to import the filename of the txt file in a column. So column A would read, AMAB3.txt and column B would be the figure pulled from the txt file, say 1.9 or 5.6 etc. In a long list.

I'm sorry if I've explained this terribly and I will try to clear up any issues. All help on this matter is appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

--

X82

You could change from .rtf to .txt and then open in excel. Then you would need the logic of why 4.5 is the value you want from which file and why. Detailed logic.
X82 X82 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Guillett[_2_] View Post
[...]

The linked rtf files are only so I could append red marks for illustration purposes only. All 500 files are .txt files. How do you mean logic also?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:52:46 +0000, X82 wrote:

The linked rtf files are only so I could append red marks for
illustration purposes only. All 500 files are .txt files.

How do you mean logic also?

Although I cannot be certain, there need to be some rules (logic) to follow so as to know which values to be extracted from each of the files. Other than being colored red (which you indicate is only for illustrative purposes, so won't occur in the original .txt file), there does not seem to be anyway to determine why you want the following values extracted from each of the files.

file 1: 4.5
file2: 1.3 6.0
file3: 5.5
file4: 5.7 5.0 3.9