Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Newsgroups going bye-bye

I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in favor of
a Forum
format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
Forums.
I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...quired&ppud=4].
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
Excel oriented people can hang out?

--
Gary Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

this is the one i was directed to.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...ry/officeexcel
i'm not impressed.

Regards
FSt1

"Gary Brown" wrote:

I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in favor of
a Forum
format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
Forums.
I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...quired&ppud=4].
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
Excel oriented people can hang out?

--
Gary Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unless MS has something that they have not unveiled, that is their
replacement for the newsgroups. Like you, I was not all that overwhelmed
but with time, maybe it can develop into something. I like the chat room
environment much better.

"Gary Brown" wrote:

I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in
favor of
a Forum
format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
Forums.
I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...quired&ppud=4].
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
Excel oriented people can hang out?

--
Gary Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another one for VBA:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...isvvba/threads
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201003

"Gary Brown" wrote:

I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in favor of
a Forum
format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
Forums.
I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...quired&ppud=4].
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
Excel oriented people can hang out?

--
Gary Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 25/05/2010 14:09, Gary Brown wrote:
I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in favor of
a Forum
format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
Forums.

Wait and see :-)

The MickeySoft NNTP server may well be turned off and cease to exist on
1 Jun1 2010 but I expect that is just about all that happens. I doubt
they will be able to cancel their newsgroups existing on all the global
newservers (and even if they tried how many would honour cancels?).

It is easy to create newsgroups but very hard to remove them!

I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...quired&ppud=4].
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
Excel oriented people can hang out?

Stay around here at least until traffic completely expires.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

here are some of my views on the transition:

1. For those of us that participate a lot, mvp's, beta team members and just
people that like to help, the web based forums offer no way to:
a. Search for messages posted by the "me", across a multitude of forums.
i. In an nntp client, they're all in my sent folder.
b. No way to search for key words in forum posts across a multitude of
forums.
i. In an nntp client, they are all in a folder.
c . Save forum posts for future reference.
i. I can drag them into a folder on my pc and have them forever.
ii. In a web based forum, what do I do, drag a hundred links to
posts scattered throughout the internet? Then, how do I search
these by poster or keyword?

2. web based forums are slow. then they implement the annoying transition
effects to make them appear even slower.

the only person the forums will not annoy is the one-time poster. other than
that, they are totally useless, in my opinion.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003