Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I highlight certain results in an excel formula?

I have a formula that will bring back data depending on the score that the
formula pulls. I want to have the results in color, for example if the
formula pulls back EXCELLENT, I want that in blue. If the formula pulls back
HIGH IMPROVEMENT POTENTIAL, I want that in red, etc. Can anyone help?????
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See Conditional Formatting in Excel Help
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Linda D." wrote:

I have a formula that will bring back data depending on the score that the
formula pulls. I want to have the results in color, for example if the
formula pulls back EXCELLENT, I want that in blue. If the formula pulls back
HIGH IMPROVEMENT POTENTIAL, I want that in red, etc. Can anyone help?????
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You cannot do it with a formula alone. A formula can only return a
value to the cell(s) whence it was called. It cannot modify the
properties of the calling cell, or another cell.

You can use Conditional Formatting on the Format menu to do this.
Select the cell whose value it to be change based on content. Enter
"EXCELLENT" in the "Value Is" box, click the Format button, and choose
Blue (pattern or font, depending on what you want). Do this same thing
for "HIGH IMPROVMENT POTENTIOL". In Excel 2003 and earlier, you can
have up to three format conditions. In Excel 2007, the number is
unlimited in practical terms.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010