Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Single hotkey to do a date time stamp into a cell... and then type

Want to somehow combine ctrl+; ctrl+shift; <my initials so that I can do a
single keystroke which inserts date-time, my initials, and I can keep typing.

Now:
click on a cell; do a ctrl+; ctrl+shift; <my initials keep on typing.
Like to do:
click on a cell: <something keep on typing.

Can you assist?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub dergf()
ActiveCell.Value = Now
End Sub

and assign a shortcut key like CNTRL-e to it.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sep 18, 1:35*pm, Gary''s Student
wrote:
Sub dergf()
ActiveCell.Value = Now
End Sub

and assign a shortcut key like CNTRL-e to it.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805

I think he wants the current date/time and his initials in the cell

Sub dergf()
ActiveCell.Value = Now & " Your Initials Here"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Single hotkey to do a date time stamp into a cell... and then

Thank you both, that solves 1/2 of the question/problem and you did it fast.
I've assigned a macro as you suggested (as I expected) and while it does
insert the date/time (thank you) and my initials now (thank you again) it
closes the cell. It did not provide the solution intended. <date <time
<initials <and allow me to continue typing

Done: I've defined ctrl+q to this macro, but it closes the cell.
Want: I want ctrl+q to behave as if I've typed Ctrl+; ctrl+shift+; <space
dmw ...and allow me to keep typing. You have the first part.... now the ...
dmw
Support: entering the existing keyboard hotkeys Ctrl+; ctrl+shift+; keeps
you in the cell to continue typing. The above macro created somehow
generates a "return" that closes the cell. I don't want the cell closed....
must be an option somewhere, as we are "dis" close. (And thank you again, so
far, so good)
dmw

wrote:
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805

Sub dergf()
ActiveCell.Value = Now & " Your Initials Here"
End Sub
and assign a shortcut key like CNTRL-e to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You cannot run code while in edit mode to "allow you to continue typing"

The macro has to be run first then F2 to edit and type what you want.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805

Sub dergf()
ActiveCell.Value = Now & " Your Initials Here"
End Sub
and assign a shortcut key like CNTRL-e to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe not using the proposed solution, but imagine this:
If I could "find" the code that is Ctrl+; ctrl+shift+; ....then couldn't I
combine them with my initials? Those hotkeys leave the cell open. All I
need to do is find out what that code is, and then combine the two features
plus my initials; if that is at all possible
problems: getting access to the current insert time/date feature hotkey
problems: adding to it, and having it work as above.
If microsoft can do it with a hotkey, the code exists, I just need to
combine their two hotkeys and add my text initials... should be easy enough
(theoretically)

Since the embedded hotkey leaves the cell in edit mode.... what method could
be used for me to do the same :-)

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You cannot run code while in edit mode to "allow you to continue typing"

The macro has to be run first then F2 to edit and type what you want.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Reverse the order of events.

Type the text you want into the cell, then run the code, modified as
such.

ActiveCell.Value = Now & " Your Initials Here " & ActiveCell.Value

This appends the existing value that you type in first, after the date
and your initials.

HTH,

Steven

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
You cannot run code while in edit mode to "allow you to continue typing"

The macro has to be run first then F2 to edit and type what you want.

Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
You cannot run code while in edit mode to "allow you to continue typing"

The macro has to be run first then F2 to edit and type what you want.

Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

Another method, perhaps overkill

Sub Human()
Dim MyString as String

MyString = InputBox("Please enter text here")
ActiveCell.Value = Now & " Your Initials Here " & MyString

End Sub

Steven
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you. I think you've satisfied my original problem. All solutions will
work. I created a macro with a cntrl+q feature, then I hit F2 and continue
typing. However, the additional options proposed by sbitaxi are cleaner as
well. Overall, great satisfaction from the community, thanks. dr