Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Date/time code, both, accesible by hotkey?

I've been using the ^+; a lot in my spreadsheets and by using a custom
format in the date cells. This has worked very well. But is there a way to
have both the current date _and_ time keyed in with _one_ hotkey rather than
using the ^+; for the date and then in another cell, CTRL+SHIFT+: for the
time? It would be nice to save the user time/aggravation by just using one
cell and one hotkey.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Hold Ctrl, hit the ; key, and then before releasing Ctrl, hit the :
(Shift-;) as well.

--

HTH

That sure did help, thank you! Very clever.

However, a formatting issue: no matter what the cell formatting is, my
custom shown here within quotes - "yyyy.mm.dd.ddd; hh:mm" - or even any of
the other standard formats, I always get a display like this:

6/29/20042:46 PM

There is no space in between the date and time nor is any format adhered to.
What am I doing wrong in this aspect?

Thank you!

Bob Phillips

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
I've been using the ^+; a lot in my spreadsheets and by using a custom
format in the date cells. This has worked very well. But is there a

way
have both the current date _and_ time keyed in with _one_ hotkey rather

than
using the ^+; for the date and then in another cell, CTRL+SHIFT+: for

the
time? It would be nice to save the user time/aggravation by just using

one
cell and one hotkey.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Most odd. When I tried it before posting, I could swear that Excel input a
space (very clever I thought). Now it doesn't, so I have to manually insert
a space, and I can then format it as I want.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Most odd. When I tried it before posting, I could swear that Excel input a
space (very clever I thought). Now it doesn't, so I have to manually

insert
a space, and I can then format it as I want.

Yup, it doesn't work for me. If I add a space, it knocks off the time and
just leaves the date <chuckle. Oh boy, what a challenging day this has
been ...

I've given up on this. I just put in date and time cells. It'll do. Maybe
once I get better at this, I can figure out something easier.

Thank you very much! <g