Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default IRibbonUI error

During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kevin,
please read some of Ron DeBruin's read up on this.
He's done quite a bit.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
look for Excel Ribbon and QAT pages.
Also, the folks over at WROX has posted chapter 14 on the OA-LTD pages.
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel2007ProgRef/Default.htm
When I was making my ribbon I found that the xml portion of the XLAM page
was mis-coded and kept throwing errors.
If those don't help post back, and perhaps Ron will respond.
Best.

"KWarner" wrote:

During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kevin

That's the same as I always do.
No big problem so I never looked if I can avoid it

--

Regards Ron de Bruin

"KWarner" wrote in message ...
During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The ribbon itself still works. The problem is that the IRibbonUI gets
un-cached when i get a run-time error. Then, I can't do things like disable a
button, because that gets called when I InvalidateControl. Invalidate /
InvalidateControl are methods of the cached IRibbonUI . I guess what I'm
asking is, is there a way to re-cache the IRibbonUI after the workbook has
already initialized?
I couldn't find anything on the pages you referenced that address this
issue. Unless I'm not looking in the right places.

"KWarner" wrote:

During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your response Ron. I guess I'll stop wasting time trying to find a
solution. It's more of an annoyance than a problem anyway.
By the way, your website has been invaluable to me in figuring out how to
make the ribbon work the way I want it. Thanks.

Kevin

"KWarner" wrote in message ...
During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This sounds like something I've never had to deal with.
When you say cached, are you saying that when you load Excel, the ribbon
doesn't appear all the time, and you have to reload it manually?

"KWarner" wrote in message ...
During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe the way it works is this:
When you first load a workbook, you cache your IRibbonUI which is an
interface.
Then, to do things like getItemCount, getContent and getEnabled, you have to
use that interfaces methods (Invalidate and InvalidateControl) to call those
methods (getItemCount etc.).

"KWarner" wrote in message ...
During debugging, when I get a run-time error and choose end instead of
debug, my cached IRibbonUI gets reset. Then, when i try to InvalidateControl
I get an Object variable not set error. The only way I have figured out to
reset the IRibbonUI is to close the workbook and then re-open it. Am I
missing something, or is this the only option?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok, yea, never heard of that stuff.
Using the UI Custom Editor, I'd made an xlam file once I created my macros,
and placed the xml code in the xlam format file. We then designed the Ribbon
menu we wanted. We were having all kinds of troubles getting the code correct
for the xml, and I was talking back and forth with Ron, and reading the PDF
file I told you about.
Once we got it figured out, and the xlam file was located within the correct
directory we haven't had any troubles since.
But, since Ron seems to have also faced what you've described-- he'd be the
one to know. Like you said to him-- his pages, and help were immensely
helpful, and finally got our problems resolved.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Glad Ron showed up though.