Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Want to learn macros in excel

hi everyone,

I'm really intrested in learing how to use macros. Anyone who can provide a
link where i can learn using macros in excel step by step? Or perhaps
documents i can refer to? I do have bit of knwledge bout VB programming,
however when i try checking out if i can do macros....hehehehe i failed, it's
quite hard to refer to the cells, or sheets or even obtaining the value of a
certain cell. The properties pane is so limited. Unlike with having a form in
VB, all the objects are there, all you need to do is name them and you can
easily program events and what not. I do hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

melmac
--
"excel newbie"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Melmac,

As a starting point, David McRitchie lists
resources at:

Visual Basic for Applications ( VBA ) materials (#vbatutorials)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#tutorials

Whilst on the site, try wandering - you
should find vast quantities of interesting material!

---
Regards.
Norman

"melmac" wrote in message
hi everyone,

I'm really intrested in learing how to use macros. Anyone who can provide
link where i can learn using macros in excel step by step? Or perhaps
documents i can refer to? I do have bit of knwledge bout VB programming,
however when i try checking out if i can do macros....hehehehe i failed,
it's
quite hard to refer to the cells, or sheets or even obtaining the value of
certain cell. The properties pane is so limited. Unlike with having a form
in
VB, all the objects are there, all you need to do is name them and you can
easily program events and what not. I do hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

melmac
--
"excel newbie"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I'm replying because I was in this situation a year ago (and am still
learning). There's loads of ways to learn, plenty of resource on the
internet but my start point would be to buy a book (or many books like
I did - try amazon). They'll become a great reference point later on
too. Also VB help in Excel is a good reference point too. Most of all
don't give up! I had many frustrations when the simplest things took
hours to code simply because I didn't know how to refer to an object /
range / variable etc. However practise makes perfect, so good luck!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See David McRitchie's "getting started with VBA and macros" site.

Don't forget the Macro Recorder which most times gives you an idea of what has
to be done.

Tweaking of the recorded code is necessary in some cases.

Tushar Mehta has a tutorial on tweaking recorder-generated code.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vb...rder/index.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP