Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
punter

Default Best way to learn/use macros?

I am new to macros but quickly realizing just how useful they are. I am
very determined to learn as much as possible. Does anyone suggest a
book or program that they used in order to learn?

Thanks

Eddie

--
punter

punter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2044
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bgeier

The way I started was to record macros to do mundane "chores", like
format cells, do search and/or search/replace, stuff like that, then
open the VBE to see what the code looked like and "play" with the code
that was written, try to modify the code to see what it would do.

Then I went into "Help" and found what each line of code actually did,
then "played" some more.

Eventually, I came to the point where I started trying to code with out
the macro recorder, and looking for interesting topics in Excel's Help.
(Believe it or not, it is rather good [not great], but that is half the
fun [phun?] of figuring out what the programmers are trying to tell you
to make it do what you want it to do!

As for books, most are good.
Personally, I do not recommend the "For Dummies" until you have a
little experience with Excel. While the "For Dummies" books are quite
good, I found them a bit cryptic as a beginner because then tend to
focus on specific examples, not general use tutorials for learning. (I
do own several "For Dummies" books, and do use them quite often as
reference though).

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12822

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
R. Choate

There are a bunch of great books. Many are authored by folks who answer user posts right here in this forum. Start with John
Walkenbach. His website is J-Walk.com and I believe he has a new book out now. John is great, plus, he is accessible either through
his website, by email, or through the newsgroups. His website is also very, very good.

Another superb site which also includes training online is the Ozgrid.com website run by Dave Hawley (from down under in Perth,
Western Australia). That is really only important because if you communicate with Dave by email or newsgroups, keep in mind the
number of time zones away he is. Dave writes an Excel/VBA newsletter issued each month and he is an author as well. Both of these
sites give you links to yet more sites with more books that help with what you want.

HTH
--
RMC,CPA

"bgeier" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
punter

Thanks so much guys. I will follow your advice.