Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can I install Excel 95 on a new Windows Vista machine ?

For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) ? If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

Thanks all _

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) ? If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

First, you need to set up your computer so you can boot to either Vista or,
an earlier OS, such as Windows XP.

Usually, you should install the older OS first.
Each OS must be in a separate partition.

Having multiple OS does not affect performance.
When you are booted to one OS, the other OS is not running.

If Excel 95 can run in Windows XP, then just boot to XP and install Office
95.
Has no effect on what goes on when you are booted into Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If your system has the resources for it, you might find this an interesting
alternative to partitioning your drives...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...c/default.mspx

I have it set up on my 64-bit Vista laptop (don't ask<g) and what it does
is let me run Windows XP inside a window on my Vista computer. That means I
can switch between Windows Vista programs and Windows XP programs as easily
a I can switch between any two running applications. It really is quite
neat! And best of all, the program is free (of course, you need a legitimate
copy of Windows XP to install into it, but I assume from your question that
you already have it).

Rick

wrote in message
For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) ? If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

Thanks all _

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) *? *If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

Thanks all _

Charles- Hide quoted text -

Rick - this looks aboslutely brilliant ! The neatest solution
imaginable, anot very well publicised yet ?

MANY thanks - Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

" wrote:
For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) *? *If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

Thanks all _

Charles- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, JLG Whiz - great stuff.
Charles
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 22 Mar, 18:13, "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
wrote in message

For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) *? *If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

First, you need to set up your computer so you can boot to either Vista or,
an earlier OS, such as Windows XP.

Usually, you should install the older OS first.
Each OS must be in a separate partition.

Having multiple OS does not affect performance.
When you *are booted to one OS, the other OS is not running.

If *Excel 95 can run in Windows XP, then just boot to XP and install Office
95.
Has no effect on what goes on when you are booted into Vista.

Thanks Howard . I think however Rick Rothstein, below, has "an inside
track" !

Thanks - Charles
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One more -

Have you actually tried to install your Excel 95 on Vista. If not why not
give it a go, ignore all warnings. FWIW, although I haven't installed XL'95
I have installed one or two other very old both W3.1 & W95 app's in Vista,
no problems despite the warnings.

One thing though, before attempting to do that, fully uninstall any other
versions of Excel as they should always be installed in order of oldest
first. Also don't install into a default "Office" folder but say into
"Office95"

Regards,
Peter T

wrote in message
For historical and educational reasons, I want to install Excel 95 on
a brand new HP PC, which comes shipped wth Vista.

Can I install Windows XP somewhere on it (which does support Excel 95
(ie Version 7) ) ? If ncessary, partition it and install Windows XP
first ? Will this degrade system performance ?

The outcome of this ambition matters very greatly to me..

Thanks all _

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
Thanks Howard . I think however Rick Rothstein, below, has "an inside
track" !

My train will not run on Rick's track.

I will not use a virtual OS, as I want to assure that there are no
unexpected impacts on software that I run.
This can be assured only by directly running in an OS, with no extra layers
of software.