Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default cannot open exel from windows xp in windows vista and visa versa

Seems that the format in windows xp is a different format in windows vista. I
try to open an excel file sent from xp to vista and it gives me a message
that this file cannot be opened. In xp the format is .xlr and in vista it is
..xlxs. Is there any way that either xp or vista exel formats can be changed
in order to open an attachment of a vista or xp file so it can be compatible
to be read?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To open Excel 2007 files with Excel 2003 (or earlier) you need the
compatibility utility from Microsoft. Go to:

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007
File Formats

In Xl2007, you can also save a workbook in the earlier format

Please note, this is not a Windows XP / Windows Vista issue. It is all about
the version of Office that one is using. For example, I run Office 2007 on a
XP machine and Office 2003 on a Vista machine.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"lildiana" wrote in message
Seems that the format in windows xp is a different format in windows
vista. I
try to open an excel file sent from xp to vista and it gives me a message
that this file cannot be opened. In xp the format is .xlr and in vista it
is
.xlxs. Is there any way that either xp or vista exel formats can be
changed
in order to open an attachment of a vista or xp file so it can be
compatible
to be read?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default cannot open exel from windows xp in windows vista and visa ver

Bernard,

Maybe you can help me. I am trying to open an XLR file, as an XL
spreadsheet. It will not open as an XLR file. I am running out of
Microsoft Office 2003, vista. I tried the utility compatability you
suggested and downloaded it, but I am still not able to open this file. Can
you help? thanks, Helen

"lildiana" wrote in message
Seems that the format in windows xp is a different format in windows
vista. I
try to open an excel file sent from xp to vista and it gives me a message
that this file cannot be opened. In xp the format is .xlr and in vista it
is
.xlxs. Is there any way that either xp or vista exel formats can be
changed
in order to open an attachment of a vista or xp file so it can be
compatible
to be read?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Helen wrote:
Bernard,

Maybe you can help me. I am trying to open an XLR file, as an XL
spreadsheet. It will not open as an XLR file. I am running out of
Microsoft Office 2003, vista. I tried the utility compatability you
suggested and downloaded it, but I am still not able to open this file. Can
you help? thanks, Helen

xlr is a Works Spreadsheet. AFAIK Office 2003 will only open Works 2
files. You need to get whoever sent it to you to do a "Save As" and save
it as an Excel format, not a Works format.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

XLR files are Microsoft Works files.

These cannot be opened in Excel AFAIK.

Suggest you re-save in Works as an Excel file format.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP