Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Customizing menu buttons in Ecel 2007

I have just upgraded from Excel 2003 and have several custom buttons in my
menu that execute macros. In v2003 I could copy a suitable image to the
menu button but that feature seems to be lost in v2007.

How can I customize the image that appears on my buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Lorne,

See if this helps:

You can customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT for short) and insert
buttons to run macros either for all workbooks or for specified workbooks.
(specified workbooks need to be open)

Open the workbook for which you want the buttons

Right click a blank section of QAT

Select Customize QAT

Click dropdown arrow on field titled: €śChoose commands from€ť

Select macros

Click drop down arrow on field titled: €śCustomize Quick Access Toolbar€ť

Select the workbook for which you want the buttons

Select the macro form the list (Will have to search down the list because
all the internal macros are there also)

Click Add

Click the Modify button towards bottom right

Select a button design. (I think this is what you wanted)

Note that you can select any of the added buttons and use the Up/Down arrows
at the right to position them. There is also a separator that can be selected
at the top of the macro list.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Lorne" wrote:

I have just upgraded from Excel 2003 and have several custom buttons in my
menu that execute macros. In v2003 I could copy a suitable image to the
menu button but that feature seems to be lost in v2007.

How can I customize the image that appears on my buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See also
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm

Or change the ribbon
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Lorne" wrote in message ...
I have just upgraded from Excel 2003 and have several custom buttons in my
menu that execute macros. In v2003 I could copy a suitable image to the
menu button but that feature seems to be lost in v2007.

How can I customize the image that appears on my buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"OssieMac" wrote in message
Hi Lorne,

See if this helps:

Click the Modify button towards bottom right

Select a button design. (I think this is what you wanted)

Note that you can select any of the added buttons and use the Up/Down
arrows
at the right to position them. There is also a separator that can be
selected
at the top of the macro list.

Regards,

OssieMac

This is what I have done but the buttons in the list do not give any clue as
to what my macros do, hence I want to customize the button - either find out
where the button list is stored and add my own designs to the list or else
add some code so the button displays my design.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for these links but I am not sure they do what I want. I can see
they let me create my own menu (which I may use anyway so thankyou) and I
downloaded the developers icon list so my developers tab now has a massive
choice of icons but I still can't see how to get my own designed image on to
a macro button in the quick access toolbar area.

Am I asking for the impossible?

Lorne

"Lorne" wrote in message
I have just upgraded from Excel 2003 and have several custom buttons in my
menu that execute macros. In v2003 I could copy a suitable image to the
menu button but that feature seems to be lost in v2007.

How can I customize the image that appears on my buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have to decide whether it's worth the trouble but this is how I
customize the images of the buttons I added to the QAT.

Excel saves your QAT setup he

C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\Excel.QAT

After you added the buttons to want to it through the Excel's Customize
feature open the QAT file with a text editor. You should find that the
customizations you added look like this:

<mso:control idQ="mso:GroupAddInsMenuCommands" visible="true"/

Edit it to show the image you want:

<mso:control idQ="mso:GroupAddInsMenuCommands" imageMso="M"
visible="true"/

You can see the built-in images available (and their imageMsos) with this
download:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/BtnImages.zip

As far as I know you have to use a built in image.

One warning - Excel does not preserve this change the next time you use its
Customize feature. You have to re-add the msoImage. Backup your QAT file
to make this easier.

--
Jim
"Lorne" wrote in message
| "OssieMac" wrote in message
| Hi Lorne,
|
| See if this helps:
|
| Click the Modify button towards bottom right
|
| Select a button design. (I think this is what you wanted)
|
| Note that you can select any of the added buttons and use the Up/Down
| arrows
| at the right to position them. There is also a separator that can be
| selected
| at the top of the macro list.
|
| Regards,
|
| OssieMac
|
| This is what I have done but the buttons in the list do not give any clue
as
| to what my macros do, hence I want to customize the button - either find
out
| where the button list is stored and add my own designs to the list or else
| add some code so the button displays my design.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The first link show you the old way to create a menu with code and you can assign
a lot of images. Download John's file from that page for the icon Id's.

The second link show you haw you can add your own tab to the ribbon with the icons you want
(See Jim's file on my site, better then the MS download)

And see Jim's reply about changing the QAT icons

--

"Lorne" wrote in message
I have just upgraded from Excel 2003 and have several custom buttons in my
menu that execute macros. In v2003 I could copy a suitable image to the
menu button but that feature seems to be lost in v2007.

How can I customize the image that appears on my buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
You have to decide whether it's worth the trouble but this is how I
customize the images of the buttons I added to the QAT.

Excel saves your QAT setup he

C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\Excel.QAT

After you added the buttons to want to it through the Excel's Customize
feature open the QAT file with a text editor. You should find that the
customizations you added look like this:

<mso:control idQ="mso:GroupAddInsMenuCommands" visible="true"/

Edit it to show the image you want:

<mso:control idQ="mso:GroupAddInsMenuCommands" imageMso="M"
visible="true"/

You can see the built-in images available (and their imageMsos) with this
download:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/BtnImages.zip

As far as I know you have to use a built in image.

Many thanks for this.

Your would think that with 1,871 images to choose from I would be happy, but
I still prefer the ones I created myself ! Still some were close enough for
me to identify which button does what so that is a lot better than before.

I presume there is no way to edit the resource that holds the images is
there? Do you know where that resource is and what it is called?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I haven't tried to find the file that the images are in but that sounds like
an interesting project. The images seem to be available across Office so
I'd assume they are not in a core EXE.

I tried replacing the msoImage="Whatever" with image="MyPic.png" (and BMP
and JPG versions, with and without a full path). Excel doesn't object, but
it doesn't use it either. There 'ought' to be a way, but that doesn't mean
there is.

--
Jim