Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Google Beta Reply to Author

I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you said. No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, Bob, for your reply. That's an interesting perspective I
hadn't thought of. I tend to still like the Reply to Author method,
because:
1. Google has my e-mail address, anyway.
2. For Excel topics, I don't really care if my e-mail content is
pirated because it's just helping people, which I enjoy.
3. A few people have tried to help me set up a more secure way of
e-mailing posters. I think I'm fairly smart on some Excel things, but
I just "don't get" a lot of internet stuff, including that.
I notice that you use gmail. From the g, I assumed that was a Google
service (probably wrong!)
Your posts are always informative and interesting. Thanks again.
Best regards,
James
Bob Phillips wrote:
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you said. No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record of all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised form. AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you said.

No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

James, I post an old yahoo address when I need to see a file. I have notice a
lot more spam being sent to the bulk folder since then... Oh well, I guess
that's what spam filters are for.
--
Charles Chickering

"A good example is twice the value of good advice."

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record of all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised form. AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you said.

No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charles, Another interesting strategy. My main problem is if I'm
trying to help someone and they need a userform solution, it's almost
impossible to explain how to layout and hook up a user form in the
newsgroup. Wouldn't it be great if Google had a way to pass Excel
files anonymously? Then I could just download the file to Google and
tell the person I'm trying to help the name of the file and they could
go to the Google resource and download it. Guess that is asking for
the moon and stars. Google does seem to be trying to address the
problem. Hopefully they'll keep working on it. Regards, James

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record of all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised form. AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you said.

No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you mention,
such as http://cjoint.com, http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record of

all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised form.

AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you

said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It

still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice

feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for

passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see

my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to

post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete

their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster

e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an

improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, you are right, it is a gmail account, but I only use it to add to the
usenet service. I go in probably once a week and see if there is anything
interesting, bin most of it. I never use it to start a conversation.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...
Bob Phillips wrote:
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you said.

No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster to
e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, Now this is a revelation. I'll study these more. Might just be
the answer to my problem. Thanks! James
Bob Phillips wrote:
There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you mention,
such as http://cjoint.com, http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record of

all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised form.

AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you

said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It

still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice

feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for

passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see

my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to

post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete

their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster

e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an

improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, I apologize for pestering you on this point. cjoint.com is in
French, so that's beyond me. flypicture.com looks like the ticket, and
I was able to upload my Excel file to the site. What I don't
understand is how my file is retrieved from the site. Could you please
take the time to explain that part. Many thanks, James

Bob Phillips wrote:
There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you mention,
such as http://cjoint.com, http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record of

all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised form.

AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what you

said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been looking into the Google Beta version for Groups. It

still
has a few warts, but Reply to Author seems to be a very nice

feature,
since it allows a poster to send me his/her e-mail address for

passing
files without either of us posting our address in the newsgroup.
Satisfies a real need, it seems to me. They will be able to see

my
e-mail address on their sent mail, but at least we don't have to

post
our addresses in the ng to pass files. I can always just delete

their
e-mail if necessary. I would prefer to explictly allow the poster

e-mail me, but ng security is weak anyway, so this is an

improvement.
Any comments? James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll do it on CJoint if I may Zone, although it is in French, you can ignore
it all.

To upload, just click the Browse button on the initial screen, and then
browse on your PC to find the file. Once located, click OK on the browse
dialog and then click the 'Creer le lien Cjoint' button which will upload it
and returns a screen with a url (on CJoint, it is labelled 'Le lien a ete
cree'). Copy that URL and send it to your recipient.

I have created one and the URL for you to try is
http://cjoint.com/?kkbKHR56d7

The receiver gets the message with the URL, and just double-clicks the URL,
or pastes it into the browser address bar, and that invokes the file
download.

Try uploading one, and get the URL and post it back.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:
There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you

mention,
such as http://cjoint.com,

http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record

of
all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised

form.
AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what

you
said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing

direct)

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is also http://savefile.com/ which Max uses. haven't used it myself,
but if I understand it correctly, you can use it as a personal file store.
The others tend to delete the files after 30 days or so, Savefile seems to
keep them (but check the terms).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:
There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you

mention,
such as http://cjoint.com,

http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record

of
all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised

form.
AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what

you
said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing

direct)

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://www.savefile.com/faq.php

When will my file be deleted?
- All files with no downloads for 30 days will be deleted.
Please note that this limit can be lowered to 25 days in extreme cases, but only
in a short period of time.

Max actually downloads his (important files) every so often so they don't age
off. (I was curious and asked him.)

Bob Phillips wrote:

There is also http://savefile.com/ which Max uses. haven't used it myself,
but if I understand it correctly, you can use it as a personal file store.
The others tend to delete the files after 30 days or so, Savefile seems to
keep them (but check the terms).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:
There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you

mention,
such as http://cjoint.com,

http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record

of
all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised

form.
AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what

you
said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing

direct)

"Zone" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, Hooray! Problem solved. I used savefile.com. The little file is
hardly earth-shattering, but I think it will be useful to the poster I
created it for.
http://savefile.com/files/148073 if you're interested. Many thanks
and regards, James

Bob Phillips wrote:
There is also http://savefile.com/ which Max uses. haven't used it myself,
but if I understand it correctly, you can use it as a personal file store.
The others tend to delete the files after 30 days or so, Savefile seems to
keep them (but check the terms).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:
There are plenty of free web hosters for the sort of thing that you

mention,
such as http://cjoint.com,

http://flypicture.com/index.cfm?display=upload,
etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

"Peter T" wrote:

Bob,
Like me you have a gmail account which means Google has a record

of
all your
exchanges, with which analyse and target you with [sic] relevant
advertising.

Zone,
From time to time I post my email address in thinly disguised

form.
AFAIK to
date no trawler has scooped it up.

Regards,
Peter T

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
But Google will have it, and a record of who you emailed, what

you
said.
No
thanks!

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing

direct)

oups.com...