Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Default start learning Excel/VBA, where to start from? Any online video lectures?

Hi all,

I start to learn Excel/VBA... and I know VBA is intimately related to VB, so
I guess I have to learn some VB too...

NOw the question is: from where do I start? From VBA, then Excel, then go to
VB...

or from VB, and then VBA and Excel?

Also, when I learned C++, there are many good online C++ classes from good
universities, so I can educate myself by watching those video lectures from
some universities and that's a good distant learning... It helped greatly
because when it comes to getting familiar with VC++ studio, etc, GUI
debugger, etc., it is a lot better to watch a hands-on teaching...

But when it comes to VBA/Excel/VB, I did not find any (free) online classes
that I can watch and self-study. I guess that is because universities don't
teach VB/VBA/Excel... is that true? So from where can I find some good
resources and study-aids that can greatly facilitate my study?

Thanks a lot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

hi,
there are a lot of material on macros on the internet. I'm sure you
know how to use the search engine to find these materials. If you need
a good book try Excel power programming by J Walkenbach

regards,
Julian

cfman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Default start learning Excel/VBA, where to start from? Any online video le

Well since your main objective is VB6, star with VB6.
First create an Excell object:

Dim AppExcel as Object
set AppExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

///...................//....

AppExcel.Close
Set AppExcel = Nothing

In the middle write what you need the Excel Object to do.
I usually play around with MS Excel Macro recorder and see what it writes on
the Module.

Then I adjust the code to VB6 - of course it's not exactly the same! But
very similar.
And go from there.

I would recommend to look around internet to see some examples.

--
Rick

"cfman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

The <A
href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbaxl10/html/xltocObjectModelApplication.asp?frame=true"
target="_blank"Excel Object Model</A is a handy resource for Excel VBA.
--
Cheers!

David W. T. Heer
Posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Default start learning Excel/VBA, where to start from? Any online vide

Uh-oh... My HTML is showing...

/embarrassed
--
Cheers!

David W. T. Heer

Posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

"cfman" wrote:

[...]

My main goal is VBA/Excel,... but you said VB6, what's the relation between
VB6 and VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

cfman wrote:
My main goal is VBA/Excel,... but you said VB6, what's the relation
between VB6 and VBA?

They're both based on the same fundamental language, however one (VBA) is
targetted at application automation and the other (VB6) is designed to
produce standalone applications and applicaton extensions (DLLs). To some
extent, you can cross over a bit. Well-written code, outside external
object models, is often cut/paste compatible.
--
Working without a .NET?
http://classicvb.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Hi Cfman,

I start to learn Excel/VBA... and I know VBA is intimately related to VB, so
I guess I have to learn some VB too...

NOw the question is: from where do I start? From VBA, then Excel, then go to
VB...

or from VB, and then VBA and Excel?

If you want to program Excel AND you don't want to pay for anything, then I
recommend the excel.programming newsgroup as the first resource. From there,
follow links to websites and blogs you find in posts. There are quite a few
Excel-programming sites.

Since you have a reasonably strong programming background, you should pick up
the syntax quickly enough. Getting onto a first-name basis with the object
model will be the bigger challenge: the examples you find in the discussions
and on the sites should help you along with that :-)

One of the best written resources is "Professional Excel Development" by
Bullen, Bovey and Green, from Addison-Wesley. This is NOT beginner-level, and
it's not free :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

If you want to program Excel AND you don't want to pay for anything, then I
recommend the excel.programming newsgroup as the first resource. From there,
follow links to websites and blogs you find in posts. There are quite a few
Excel-programming sites.

why don't you check this site http://www.avaxhome.ru/ebooks/ it has a
pile of books(PDF) for VBA and Excel.