Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using forms?

Hi,

Using Excel 2003 here. I've created a form but have a couple questions on
how to implement them. I made a subroutine that calls the form with a show
statement. What I'd like to see happen is when the user clicks a botton on
the form it runs another routine to perform some actions. I have this other
routine working now but I noticed that by default it is public. My concern
with this is that someone may just go to Tools | Macros and run the routine
without running the form. I use the form to force the user into setting a
number of variables needed for the routine. It also seems as though the
called routine doesn't complete until the form is closed. It's performing a
remote query of a SQL server.

My questions are then:
1.) How can I get the remote query to complete without releasing the form?

2.) How can I return a value from the form to the calling program? I'd like
to make the second subroutine private but if I do I can't run it from the
form itself. So I'd like to return a value to the calling subroutine and
continue exicution from there.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help.
Linn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On question 2, if the code module is in the same project as the form, which
I assume that it is, add

Option Private Module

at the head of the module, and keep the subs public.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ah, Ok I did see that option but didn't realize what it would do for me,
thanks.

I would also like to run my form when they open the workbook but I can't
seem to figure out how to do that either off hand. I'm guessing it's
relatively simple though. I found the workbookactivate event but I need to
investigate it further. If there is an easier way I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Linn

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
myform.Show
End Sub

'This is workbook event code.

Forms Steve Excel Programming 1 September 9th 05 08:06 PM
RefEdits and normal forms / forms in a DLL David Welch Excel Programming 0 December 1st 04 03:49 PM
Forms that open from forms Azza Excel Programming 1 October 12th 04 10:54 PM
Calling Forms from Forms - Exit problems Stuart[_5_] Excel Programming 3 May 25th 04 06:50 AM
VB Forms Danny Sowden Excel Programming 2 August 19th 03 02:39 PM