Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLookup Problem

Hello again experts...
I just realized that the VLookup command that I've been using to scrub a
parts list of a new warehouse we acquired against our existing warehouses is
not working. I've been using the following formula

=VLOOKUP(NewParts!A2,'Whse345'!B$2:B$8106,1,FALSE)

A bulk of the parts that I'm scrubbing come in the format of #A####. And
for some reason, when I try to match one of these part numbers against the
list I already have, it gives me N/A#. The above formula is working fine for
all of the 7 number only part numbers, its just the part numbers that come in
the format of 1X3456.

Any Ideas????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:28:05 -0800, "DA@PD"
wrote:

Hello again experts...
I just realized that the VLookup command that I've been using to scrub a
parts list of a new warehouse we acquired against our existing warehouses is
not working. I've been using the following formula

=VLOOKUP(NewParts!A2,'Whse345'!B$2:B$8106,1,FALSE )

A bulk of the parts that I'm scrubbing come in the format of #A####. And
for some reason, when I try to match one of these part numbers against the
list I already have, it gives me N/A#. The above formula is working fine for
all of the 7 number only part numbers, its just the part numbers that come in
the format of 1X3456.

Any Ideas????

Most likely the part ID in A2 is not exactly the same as any of the part ID's
in B2:b8106. Perhaps there are extra spaces or some non-printing characters in
one list or the other.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would suggest that your data has leading or trailing spaces in these
entries, either in the NewParts list or in the Whse345 list. Something such
as this would make them not match.

Tom Ogilvy

"DA@PD" wrote in message
Hello again experts...
I just realized that the VLookup command that I've been using to scrub a
parts list of a new warehouse we acquired against our existing warehouses

is
not working. I've been using the following formula

=VLOOKUP(NewParts!A2,'Whse345'!B$2:B$8106,1,FALSE)

A bulk of the parts that I'm scrubbing come in the format of #A####. And
for some reason, when I try to match one of these part numbers against the
list I already have, it gives me N/A#. The above formula is working fine

for
all of the 7 number only part numbers, its just the part numbers that come

in
the format of 1X3456.

Any Ideas????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I thought of that, and went through and made sure there were no hyphens or
spaces in the part numbers... and still having the same problem, #N/A only
with those that have #A#### sequences..(the sequences are identical on both
sheets)

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:27:06 -0800, "DA@PD"
wrote:

I thought of that, and went through and made sure there were no hyphens or
spaces in the part numbers... and still having the same problem, #N/A only
with those that have #A#### sequences..(the sequences are identical on both
sheets)

It is unlikely that the sequences are identical. But perhaps there is a
non-printing character.

As a test, look for a part number in that sequence that appears to be identical
but is giving an #N/A with your formula:

=VLOOKUP(NewParts!A2,'Whse345'!B$2:B$8106,1,FALSE)

Assume the part number in A2 seems to match something in B63.

Try the formula:

=NewParts!A2='Whse345'!B63

If the two are truly identical, the formula should return TRUE. Post back with
the results.

Sometimes, if data is obtained from an HTML document (e.g. the web), a no-break
space may be appended or pre-pended for formatting purposes. If such is the
case, either your NewParts sheet or your Whse sheet may have to be processed to
remove that as well as any <spaces.

--ron