Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP Problem

I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list of
branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the most
recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I programme it
such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with the most recent
date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to find the right
syntax.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

To get the last value in a row use this which is for row 2. The formula can
be dragged down for subsequent rows.

=INDEX(2:2,MATCH(6.022*10^23,2:2))

Mike

"Terry Bennett" wrote:

I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list of
branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the most
recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I programme it
such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with the most recent
date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to find the right
syntax.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don. I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply but you're assuming a
greater level of knowledge than I possess!

I was looking for a function/functions and don't understand your suggestion.

"Don Guillett" wrote in message

As ALWAYS, you should post your code for comments. If you want to find the
last column in row 1

lastcol=cells(1,columns.count).end(xltoleft).colum n

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Terry Bennett" wrote in message
I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list
of branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the
most recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I
programme it such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with
the most recent date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to
find the right syntax.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was grateful to Mike for his response to my query back in October and the
suggestion works fine. I have, however, been puzzled by the syntax ever
since.

Could somebody explain to me the "6.022*10^23" element? I'm presuming that
the '*' and '^' are wildcards of some sort but haven't been able to work it
out!

Many thanks.

"Terry Bennett" wrote:

I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list
of
branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the
most
recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I programme
it
such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with the most recent
date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to find the right
syntax.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are unfamiliar with Excel's arithmetic operators, I would suggest
that you type the term "arithmetic operators" into Excel help.

The * symbol in this context is a multiplication, not a wildcard. The
formula =2*3 gives the answer 6, which is the result of mutliplying 2 by 3.
The symbol ^ is the exponentiation or power operator. 10^23 means 10 to the
power of 23, or 1 with 23 zeroes after it (or 1E+23).
=10^23 is the same as =POWER(10,23)

In the suggested formula, Mike was doubtless trying to suggest a very large
number, and his choice wasn't entirely arbitrary. Google will explain its
significance.
--
David Biddulph

"Terry Bennett" wrote:

I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been
playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each
week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list
of
branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the
most
recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I
programme it
such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with the most
recent
date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to find the right
syntax.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's just a giant number.

^ is the power operation

For instance:
2^4
is the same as
2*2*2*2
(16)

And the asterisk is just the multiply operation.

Type:
=6.022*10^23
and you'll see how big a number it represents.

"Terry Bennett" wrote:

I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list
of
branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the
most
recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I programme
it
such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with the most recent
date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to find the right
syntax.

Many thanks.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, yes, the Avogadro constant.

Thanks David.

"Terry Bennett" wrote:

I know that there will be a simple solution to this but have been
playing
with it for 1/2 hour now and not making progress!

I have a table of data (say A1:Z100). An extra column is added each
week
when various figures are received. Hence, at the moment, I have a list
of
branches in column A and dates across the top in Row 1.

All I need to do is to populate a summary with data extracted from the
most
recent figures. I can do this easily with VLOOKUP but how do I
programme it
such that Col_index_num returns data from the column with the most
recent
date in Row 1? I have tried using MAX but can't seem to find the right
syntax.

Many thanks.

VLOOKUP Problem, Please Help! Susan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 September 4th 08 05:05 PM
Vlookup problem dk New Users to Excel 2 May 4th 08 11:26 PM
VLOOKUP problem (N/V) Mortir Excel Worksheet Functions 7 February 4th 08 01:06 PM
VLOOKUP problem yvette Excel Worksheet Functions 7 November 2nd 06 06:31 PM
New VLOOKUP problem sfi Excel Worksheet Functions 2 July 26th 06 02:32 PM