Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Why is my digital signature is being discarded?

I have some simple VBA code in an excel file and when another user
does basic data entry in that file, he gets a information message: You have
modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign this
project the signature will be discarded. But he isn't doing any code work,
just data entry. Why is this happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ben ben is offline

Two questions.
Does your code modify any code? and also try locking your project for viewing.

--
When you lose your mind, you free your life.

"Nadine" wrote:

I have some simple VBA code in an excel file and when another user
does basic data entry in that file, he gets a information message: You have
modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign this
project the signature will be discarded. But he isn't doing any code work,
just data entry. Why is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hmm. good question. does my code modify any code. not sure what you mean by
that. In some cases I've done: Application.ScreenUpdating = False.
Do you think that would do it?
I did lock the project for viewing, but the problem still happened.

"Nadine" wrote:

I have some simple VBA code in an excel file and when another user
does basic data entry in that file, he gets a information message: You have
modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign this
project the signature will be discarded. But he isn't doing any code work,
just data entry. Why is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ben ben is offline

If you don't know for sure then it's a good guess that it does not do so.
It's not a simple process to do. Have you tried installing the security
certificate on the users machine? They won't be able to write anything with
it, their machine will just recognize it as trusted.

--

"Nadine" wrote:

I have some simple VBA code in an excel file and when another user
does basic data entry in that file, he gets a information message: You have
modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign this
project the signature will be discarded. But he isn't doing any code work,
just data entry. Why is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's right. I wouldn't have made code to modify code, I'm too novice for
that....
I guess installing the certificate on the users machine would do the trick,
but i'll have
40 users world-wide starting next week , I wonder if that is going to be
doable. Won't they, if they are clever, be able to write their own code
under my certificate?
I hope for this sake there is another answer...

"Nadine" wrote:

I have some simple VBA code in an excel file and when another user
does basic data entry in that file, he gets a information message: You have
modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign this
project the signature will be discarded. But he isn't doing any code work,
just data entry. Why is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you've protected it then, it can't be modified programmatically either. Strange. I've seen Excel 97 (a known bug I believe) insert lines into a locked project's modules just by opening and closing
the workbook.

What version of Excel and SP are you and he using?

ben wrote:
If you don't know for sure then it's a good guess that it does not do so.
It's not a simple process to do. Have you tried installing the security
certificate on the users machine? They won't be able to write anything with
it, their machine will just recognize it as trusted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you considered writing your code in a .xla (add-in) and sending that to
your people?
Or put the code in a standard workbook and have your people save it to their
xlStartUp folder.

Not sure if this will get past the certificate issue....

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond

"Nadine" wrote:

I have some simple VBA code in an excel file and when another user
does basic data entry in that file, he gets a information message:
You have
modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign
this
project the signature will be discarded. But he isn't doing any
code work,
just data entry. Why is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ben ben is offline

no if the certificate is installed on their machine they can't use it to
write code with they can only use it to recognize your coded projects for
security issues. Only the machine that created the certificate can use it to
code.
are any sheets being copied in the code maybe?

--
When you lose your mind, you free your life.

"Nadine" wrote:

MS 2002, SP1

ben wrote:
If you don't know for sure then it's a good guess that it does not do so.
It's not a simple process to do. Have you tried installing the security
certificate on the users machine? They won't be able to write anything with
it, their machine will just recognize it as trusted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, this is a shot in the dark, but it may well be worth updating to SP3. There's a fix to a signature problem in it. If the workbook was originally 2000 or 97 this could be the problem - modules
are being deleted and of course that would cause the message. See below link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/8360...23120121120120

Nadine wrote:
MS 2002, SP1

ben wrote:

If you don't know for sure then it's a good guess that it does not do so.
It's not a simple process to do. Have you tried installing the security
certificate on the users machine? They won't be able to write anything with
it, their machine will just recognize it as trusted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is the process of installing the certificate complicated?
only one of the files that has this problem copies a sheet which includes
unprotecting the workbook. Could that be it?
Mostly the other code is unprotecting the sheet adding a row then protecting
it , some Find and replace commands... and some message boxes and forms,
that's really it. its about as basic as it gets...this is why I'm so
dumbfounded... the operative word being dumb...

"ben" wrote:

no if the certificate is installed on their machine they can't use it to
write code with they can only use it to recognize your coded projects for
security issues. Only the machine that created the certificate can use it to
code.
are any sheets being copied in the code maybe?

--
When you lose your mind, you free your life.

"Nadine" wrote:

MS 2002, SP1

ben wrote:
If you don't know for sure then it's a good guess that it does not do so.
It's not a simple process to do. Have you tried installing the security
certificate on the users machine? They won't be able to write anything with
it, their machine will just recognize it as trusted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Interesting. You may be on to something. the files were originally 2000.
I just checked one of the files, and it appears that the modules i created
are still there
the code doesn't seem to be changed in any way.
I'll update to SP3 or I might have to just go to office 2003
but most of my users are on 2002, Ugh!
"Gareth" wrote:

Well, this is a shot in the dark, but it may well be worth updating to SP3. There's a fix to a signature problem in it. If the workbook was originally 2000 or 97 this could be the problem - modules
are being deleted and of course that would cause the message. See below link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/8360...23120121120120

Nadine wrote:
MS 2002, SP1