Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Restrictoin of xp windows feature

Hi there

Is there a vba code to restrict some of XP windows features ?
Ex: restrict showing my recent documents

--
helmekki

helmekki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6939
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382362

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

there's an application setting that you could switch off.
Application.DisplayRecentFiles (user can switch it back on)

check explorer policies:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer
"NoRecentDocsHistory"
DWORD
0 = Allow RecentDocs. 1 =Disable recent docs

note there's HKLM policies too!

be carefull both with policies and regedit.

I'm not sure if changing this registry setting has any effect
on the current instance of excel..

--
keepITcool

helmekki wrote :

Hi there

Is there a vba code to restrict some of XP windows features ?
Ex: restrict showing my recent documents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank u very much KeepItCool

I tried using your solution, but it did not work with me
mine was :
HKEY..................................

cuz i donot have HKCU nither HKLM in my regedit

any further idea ?

--
helmekki

helmekki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6939
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382362

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hkcu is short for HKEY_CURRENT_USER
hklm is short for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

you have both.

if you are new to regedit:

The RIGHT pane is relatively safe.
Stick to editing values (as indicated) in the right pane
and you should be ok.

Make sure something in the LEFT pane is selected before you do any
editing. Prefarably by rightclicking the selected item.

Be carefull in the LEFT pane... or with the menu on top.
selection and browsing/collapsing/opening the treeview is ok.
do not delete or rename keys.

All your windows and program settings are in the registry.
false moves can be disastrous.

--
keepITcool

helmekki wrote :

Thank u very much KeepItCool

I tried using your solution, but it did not work with me
mine was :
HKEY..................................

cuz i donot have HKCU nither HKLM in my regedit

any further idea ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, thank u 4 reply

I did disable as suggested (1 =Disable recent docs), but with no
result, still recent file appear in the my recent documents.

any idea why is that ?

--
helmekki

helmekki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6939
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382362

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

which version of Excel are u running?
please check microsoft KB.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q284896/
applies only to Office XP and 2003

BUT again.. if you just want to hide recent files from
from the menu =
tools/options/general UNcheck Recently used file list

in code that would be:
Application.DisplayRecentFiles=False

--
keepITcool