Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protection of confidential data

I've done my homework before posting what I'm sure is a common question, but
I wanted to check in before I completely give up. I've read answers to
common questions and looked in a couple of books, and the answers seem
discouraging!

My aim: password protect two columns, so that users can view and play with
all cells but for ones in these columns

Is it true that, although I can hide columns and stop users unhiding them,
there is nothing to stop them copying and pasting the data as values to a new
sheet, and seeing the information (for example, can I stop them copying
anything within the hidden range?).

Is it true that there is no good way to protect data on a worksheet from
being seen, other than removing it from the workbook if it's going to be
distributed?

Thanks in advance
Daniel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If there is anything that you really, really, really don't want people to see
then place it on a sheet that is xlVeryHidden. The only way to unhide the
sheet is through code. There are a number of other things you can do on a
sheet to keep prying eyes away but is your code should crash somehow they
just might get a glimpse. The one caution that I give to doing this is that
all of your procedures and functions should have error handling code to make
the confidential sheet very hidden in case of a crash...

HTH

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Yes. Don't trust Excel if you want to protect confidential data.
/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

or you can go to the vbe and make them visible by looking at the properties
for the sheet and changing xlSheetVeryHidden to xlSheetVisible. No code
required.

--
Regards.
Tom Ogilvy