Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Fredrik Wahlgren Fredrik Wahlgren is offline

Default Protection of confidential data

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...
I've done my homework before posting what I'm sure is a common question,

but
I wanted to check in before I completely give up. I've read answers to
common questions and looked in a couple of books, and the answers seem
discouraging!

My aim: password protect two columns, so that users can view and play

with
all cells but for ones in these columns

Is it true that, although I can hide columns and stop users unhiding them,
there is nothing to stop them copying and pasting the data as values to a

new
sheet, and seeing the information (for example, can I stop them copying
anything within the hidden range?).

Is it true that there is no good way to protect data on a worksheet from
being seen, other than removing it from the workbook if it's going to be
distributed?

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Is it true that there is no good way to protect data on a worksheet from
being seen, other than removing it from the workbook if it's going to be
distributed?

Yes. Don't trust Excel if you want to protect confidential data.
/Fredrik