Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_3_] Jim Thomlinson[_3_] is offline

Default Protection of confidential data

If there is anything that you really, really, really don't want people to see
then place it on a sheet that is xlVeryHidden. The only way to unhide the
sheet is through code. There are a number of other things you can do on a
sheet to keep prying eyes away but is your code should crash somehow they
just might get a glimpse. The one caution that I give to doing this is that
all of your procedures and functions should have error handling code to make
the confidential sheet very hidden in case of a crash...

HTH

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote:

I've done my homework before posting what I'm sure is a common question, but
I wanted to check in before I completely give up. I've read answers to
common questions and looked in a couple of books, and the answers seem
discouraging!

My aim: password protect two columns, so that users can view and play with
all cells but for ones in these columns

Is it true that, although I can hide columns and stop users unhiding them,
there is nothing to stop them copying and pasting the data as values to a new
sheet, and seeing the information (for example, can I stop them copying
anything within the hidden range?).

Is it true that there is no good way to protect data on a worksheet from
being seen, other than removing it from the workbook if it's going to be
distributed?

Thanks in advance
Daniel