Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change the name of column heads from A,B, C etc to something else

Is it possible to change the column heading names in a
macro ?

For example, I would like to rename column A to "Date" and
column B to "Surname"

If it is possible, would you please show me how to do it
and confirm whether or not this renaming might prove
problematic if I have to specify cell ranges within my
macro. i.e. if I refer to cell A will I have to refer to
it as "Date" from now on ?

Thank you in advance.

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve

You can use window -Freeze Panes in the menubar
to freeze the first column and Row.
Select cell b2 and do window -Freeze Panes

You can put your own headers in the first row and column then

Under Tools -options -View uncheck row & column headers so
the default row and column headers are gone

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Is it possible to change the column heading names in a
macro ?

For example, I would like to rename column A to "Date" and
column B to "Surname"

If it is possible, would you please show me how to do it
and confirm whether or not this renaming might prove
problematic if I have to specify cell ranges within my
macro. i.e. if I refer to cell A will I have to refer to
it as "Date" from now on ?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Any ideas?

The best thing you can do is to record a macro when you do this manual Steve.
You will get something like this then

Range("B2").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayHeadings = False

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

.... and then use Tools Options un-check row & column headings if you
want to remove

A B C D E
1
2
3

from the page (migth cause you trouble navigating your sheet though).

Regards,

Tim

"Steve" wrote in message
Is it possible to change the column heading names in a
macro ?

For example, I would like to rename column A to "Date" and
column B to "Surname"

If it is possible, would you please show me how to do it
and confirm whether or not this renaming might prove
problematic if I have to specify cell ranges within my
macro. i.e. if I refer to cell A will I have to refer to
it as "Date" from now on ?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in
:

It isn't possible. The best you could do is use row1 to
simulate column headings.

What about just a named range (he said naively)?

--
Poseur
"That's just kooky talk." --Kramer

Print Column Heads WITHOUT Excel Column Lables Sarah E Excel Worksheet Functions 1 June 19th 08 07:06 PM
column heads 4most New Users to Excel 5 April 25th 05 05:52 PM
Column Heads? Noggin[_3_] Excel Programming 1 July 4th 04 10:03 AM
heads of column (listbox in UF) Mark[_17_] Excel Programming 2 June 15th 04 06:56 AM
Column heads for list box - how to do it Oliver Kharraz Excel Programming 1 November 18th 03 01:04 PM