Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can I use web query with a password protected page?

Hi

First, thanks to Jake Marx for helping with my previous web quer
problem.

I want to retrieve some financial data from a site which I subscrib
to. As this is password protected, if I simply place the URL of th
data in the query, the query loads the password prompt page.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Is it possible to writ
some sort of script which would fill my password in automatically, the
retrieve the required data? Any hints, however general, would be mos
welcome.

Bertie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bertie

Try the technique posted by Neil here

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm...40tkmsftngxa05

It has worked sporadically for me.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"claytorm " wrote in message
Hi

First, thanks to Jake Marx for helping with my previous web query
problem.

I want to retrieve some financial data from a site which I subscribe
to. As this is password protected, if I simply place the URL of the
data in the query, the query loads the password prompt page.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Is it possible to write
some sort of script which would fill my password in automatically, then
retrieve the required data? Any hints, however general, would be most
welcome.

Bertie.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I couldn't follow the link. Could you post it again?

Thanks very much,

Bertie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is the post:

Message 2 in thread
From: Neil Twomey )
Subject: Web Query Problem

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.querydao
Date: 2002-08-28 09:56:25 PST

I have a spreadsheet (using Excel 2000) that does a web
query to a password protected Domino view. The problem is
that I can successfully pull down the view's information
only occasionally. More often than not, the message I get
is that I'm not authorized to access the site (which is
not true).

Here is the .iqy file that I'm using:

WEB
1
http://mywebsite.com/eQA_dev/eqapro.nsf/HSGCASTally?
OpenView&UserName=["User Name","Enter your user name."]
&Password=["Password", "Enter your password."]

I've played around with all the Web Query settings
extensively and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to
when this will work and when it won't. Yesterday I
thought I had narrowed it down to a caching issue, because
several times I was able to delete IE 5.5's cache and
history and then I cleared my Win2K recent documents list
and I was able to get in. Problem is, this morning the
same things did not seem to work. Can anyone point me in
the right direction here?

Thanks,
Neil-- Regards,Tom Ogilvy"claytorm "
wrote in message
I couldn't follow the link. Could you post it again?

Thanks very much,

Bertie.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I couldn't get this to work - most likely because of my lack o
knowledge about VBA. In which exact part of this should I enter my use
name and password?

WEB
1
http://mywebsite.com/eQA_dev/eqapro.nsf/HSGCASTally?
OpenView&UserName=["User Name","Enter your user name."]
&Password=["Password", "Enter your password."]

I also read somewhere (I can't find the link now) that it might b
possible to alter the URL in the format

Does this make sense to anyone?

Berti

--
Message posted from
http://www.ExcelForum.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"claytorm " wrote in message
I couldn't get this to work - most likely because of my lack of
knowledge about VBA. In which exact part of this should I enter my user
name and password?

WEB
1
http://mywebsite.com/eQA_dev/eqapro.nsf/HSGCASTally?
OpenView&UserName=["User Name","Enter your user name."]
&Password=["Password", "Enter your password."]

Bertie. You can enter your username and password in place of the bracketed
items. Or you can leave the bracketed items and it should prompt you for
the username and password. If you are prompted, you will have the
opportunity to save what you type for future refreshes. This really doesn't
have anything to do with VBA, it's an iqy file.

I also read somewhere (I can't find the link now) that it might be
possible to alter the URL in the format:

I've heard that too. I've also heard that some recent versions of IE don't
allow that anymore.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel
Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel
www.dicks-blog.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I still haven't managed to solve this one, I would be delighted to hea
any further suggestions.

To summarise the problem: I want to get tables of data from known URLs
but am prevented by a username and password prompt. I have a usernam
and password.

The URL is: http://tinyurl.com/49yes

I have attached the source code, which might be necessary if anyone ca
figure out what I need to add to the .iqy file.

This is the bit I think is important:

class="tabledataright"<input tabIndex="2" class="inputtabledata
name="password" style="width: 150px" type="password"</td<t
class="tableblank"<input type="button" name="passwordhint
value="Request Password Hint" onclick="getPasswordHint()
class="submittableblank"</td

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Berti