Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Web Query - UserID/Password Protected Textbox

I am trying to do an Excel web query with a particular website found o
a company intranet. The website initially loads with a textbox tha
contains a userid and a password. The userid and password ar
validated (somehow) before the reporting information appears on th
website. In other words, you have to provide a valid userid an
password before entering the particular website.

Ultimately, I would like to write VBA code to automate a web query wit
this intranet site. The problem is that I don't know how to pass th
userid and password to the web query. Once access to the site i
obtained, the userid and password are not contained in the URL. Thi
would seem to eliminate suggestions of connecting to the site UR
preceded by the userid and password (e.g
. It would also seem to eliminat
the thought that the userid and password are passed as trailin
arguments (e.g.
http://mysite.htm?uid=123&pwd=xyz).

I have tried entering the full path of the particular site in a we
query, but that does not return any information. This fact seems t
prove that I must provide the userid and password first.

Is there any API call, etc. that provides the userid and password t
the web query? If so, could you give a detailed explanation. I a
afraid that there could be several answers (a detailed search has no
yielded a standard approach in handling this situation).

Thank you!
Tomm