Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change from 2K to XP and Excel.xlb toolbars

IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and Windows XP.
whoopie 8\ I moved my old Excel.xlb to my new Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel folder. But I can't bring up my custom toolbars. All
my macros came over with my Personal.xls. Can I get my toolbars back? Or
should I just go about rebuilding them?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and Windows XP.
whoopie 8\ I moved my old Excel.xlb to my new Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel folder. But I can't bring up my custom toolbars.

All
my macros came over with my Personal.xls. Can I get my toolbars back? Or
should I just go about rebuilding them?

Hi Ed,

Use the File/Open menu in Excel to open the Excel.xlb file as if it were
a workbook and you should get back all your customized toolbars.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, Rob! Now I get to continue slogging through this maze of code
fixing all the errors that will crop up because of all the changes. But at
least I *have* my code!

Ed

"Rob Bovey" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and Windows

XP.
whoopie 8\ I moved my old Excel.xlb to my new Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel folder. But I can't bring up my custom toolbars.

All
my macros came over with my Personal.xls. Can I get my toolbars back?

Or
should I just go about rebuilding them?

Hi Ed,

Use the File/Open menu in Excel to open the Excel.xlb file as if it

were
a workbook and you should get back all your customized toolbars.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change from 2K to XP - global macro location chnge?

"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and Windows

XP.
whoopie 8\

Just discovered all my macros are addressed for Win/XL2K to look for
Personal.XLS in a folder that doesn't exist any more! Personal.XLS is now
stored in a different location. How do I do a global change on 39 modules
to make them point to the new location?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ed,

I'm not totally clear what you're asking. If you mean that you have set
a reference to the personal.xls VBProject in a bunch of workbooks and now
that reference says MISSING, then you'll have to go through each workbook
that has this problem, uncheck the reference, close the Tools/References
dialog, then go back in a re-select the reference. If this isn't what you
mean, can you be more specific?

--

"Ed" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and Windows

XP.
whoopie 8\

Just discovered all my macros are addressed for Win/XL2K to look for
Personal.XLS in a folder that doesn't exist any more! Personal.XLS is now
stored in a different location. How do I do a global change on 39 modules
to make them point to the new location?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob: When I click a custom button to call a macro, it pops up an error
message saying "Excel can't open two files of the same name." It's looking
for the PERSONAL.XLS that holds all my macros. On my Win2K machine, that
was C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart\Personal.xls, which is
what Customize shows when I right-click on a button. On XP, with Office XP,
that folder and file do not exist. I even created that folder and dropped
my Personal into it.

So that's why I'm saying I need to globally change the address-to-look-to
for all my macro buttons. And now I'm wondering if that will also affect
macros and functions called within other macros. Any help you can give is
greatly appreciated.

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and

Windows
XP.
whoopie 8\

Just discovered all my macros are addressed for Win/XL2K to look for
Personal.XLS in a folder that doesn't exist any more! Personal.XLS is

now
stored in a different location. How do I do a global change on 39

modules
to make them point to the new location?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ed,

The first thing you need to do is get rid of the additional copy of
Personal.xls that you added. Based on your description I assume you are
using attached toolbars. If so, you will need to remove them from any
workbooks they are attached to, then go through each button and re-assign it
to the macros in the new Personal.xls, then attach it to your workbooks
again. Although you could potentially automate some of this with VBA, it
would take you just about as much time to write the code as it would to just
do it manually.

--

"Ed" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and

Windows
XP.
whoopie 8\

Just discovered all my macros are addressed for Win/XL2K to look for
Personal.XLS in a folder that doesn't exist any more! Personal.XLS is

now
stored in a different location. How do I do a global change on 39

modules
to make them point to the new location?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do a Save as back to your new XLStart folder.

Close and reopen XL after a few minutes and see if your macros are pointing back to the right place.

If so then delete the old file in the other folder.

You may have to do this more than once, as other workbooks may still remember where their toolbars were created.
Always backup these two files (Personal.xls & Excel10.xlb), I'd also rename Personal to something else.

Regards Robert

"Rob Bovey" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message
IT just changed me from Office 2K and Windows 2K to Office and Windows

XP.
whoopie 8\ I moved my old Excel.xlb to my new Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel folder. But I can't bring up my custom toolbars.

All
my macros came over with my Personal.xls. Can I get my toolbars back?

Or
should I just go about rebuilding them?

Hi Ed,

Use the File/Open menu in Excel to open the Excel.xlb file as if it

were
a workbook and you should get back all your customized toolbars.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/