Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Notifying notify users on how to lower security

My applications contain macros. Many of the users they
are distributed to just stare at the notification message that
comes up at loading time stating that the macros are disabled,
not knowing what to do next. Is there a way to issue a message
to users when this happens that they must click on Tools, click
on Options, select the Security tab, click on Macro Security
and then lower the security level to Medium. Notice that
I'm not asking how to avoid or sidestep the system message
(that would defeat its intent), I just want to tell 'em explicitly
what to do next. I can do this through error trapping to issue
a message that instructs users to follow a parallel procedure
when they have to check the box marked Trust access to
Visual Basic Project.

-- Dennis Eisen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not at the time the message is produced, but you could have the active sheet
have these instructions (and in the workbook_open event, hide it so it
doesn't display if the macros are enabled).

Tom Ogilvy

DennisE wrote in message
My applications contain macros. Many of the users they
are distributed to just stare at the notification message that
comes up at loading time stating that the macros are disabled,
not knowing what to do next. Is there a way to issue a message
to users when this happens that they must click on Tools, click
on Options, select the Security tab, click on Macro Security
and then lower the security level to Medium. Notice that
I'm not asking how to avoid or sidestep the system message
(that would defeat its intent), I just want to tell 'em explicitly
what to do next. I can do this through error trapping to issue
a message that instructs users to follow a parallel procedure
when they have to check the box marked Trust access to
Visual Basic Project.

-- Dennis Eisen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dennis,

I have the same problem. One thing that seems to help in my situation
is to direct new users to a little explanatory web page I put
together, found at www.qsl.net/ac6la/adhoc/vcheck.html. I put a link
to that page right next to the download link for my applications, with
big bold letters saying something like "This workbook will not
function correctly if macros are not enabled. See here for more
info."

Of course, YMMV.

Dan

(DennisE) wrote in message ...
My applications contain macros. Many of the users they
are distributed to just stare at the notification message that
comes up at loading time stating that the macros are disabled,
not knowing what to do next.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could create a Digital Signature, then sign the workbook. Get the
Administrator (or each user ) to install your Signature in the Store or
Root directory. It would then ask to be trusted. This depends on the
Operating System.

Jon

--
42°57N 81°16W

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dan, That's a good summary of the situation and I'd refer users to
it... that is, if it started out by explaining the MS approved and
safest approach i.e. digitally signing the VBA project. I don't think
I could recommend anything but the highest security setting, even if
virus scanners are installed. Digital signatures allow macros to be
enabled while maintaining the high security setting. For details see
MSDN e.g.

OFF2000: Overview of Digital Certificates

Please post back if you decide to add such details to your site, I'd
be genuinely interested.