Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Strange problem saving add-in

Since upgrading to Excel 2003 I have an intermittent problem saving an
add-in.
What happens is that the save doesn't finish and there is a continuous
hard-disk activity.
Eventually the error message appears file not saved.
What is happening is that a very large file is being made in the same folder
as the add-in. When this reaches a few Gb and the hard-disk is full the
error message appears.
This file can have different names. I have seen 9DA0C400 and 4976E400. I
don't see a file extension.
The add-in itself is big, about 1.5 mB, but this didn't cause any problem
before. The add-in works fine.
This is getting a major problem and I haven't found any information about
this on the internet.
Thanks for any advice or insight in this.

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

2. Do you have any code in the ThisWorkBook code module that might run
on closing or saving ?

3. In the absence of another reply, it could be that, despite seeming
to work OK, the file has become corrupted. I suggest you open a new
workbook and "clean" your code by copying and pasting it into Notepad,
then copying and pasting from there into a new code module.

If your addin has worksheets in use, I would copy these across one by
one and do a test save after each one.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

2. There is no such code.

3. I regularly use Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner, which I understand does the
same as you suggest.

There is no worksheet in use either, so I don't think this helps much.
I didn't have this problem at all with Excel 2002 and even the current
add-in doesn't have this problem with Excel 2002.
Surely somebody knows what might be going on here. Or not?

RBS

"BrianB" wrote in message
2. Do you have any code in the ThisWorkBook code module that might run
on closing or saving ?

3. In the absence of another reply, it could be that, despite seeming
to work OK, the file has become corrupted. I suggest you open a new
workbook and "clean" your code by copying and pasting it into Notepad,
then copying and pasting from there into a new code module.

If your addin has worksheets in use, I would copy these across one by
one and do a test save after each one.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't use xl2003, but when you save a file in excel, it actually saves to a
new name (those funny 8 character, no extension names).

If all goes well, then excel deletes the original file and renames the funny one
to the original's name.

This didn't help with your problem, though.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just one final note on this problem.
I discovered one golden rule he
Never save more than once without using Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner.
By sticking to that I have had no further problems.

RBS