Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Perry

Default Strange Problem

I had a user yesterday that had an excel file open and when he clicked a cell
the computer just started typing al by itself. It was pretty strange and
this never happened before. He clossed it then opened a blank file and the
same thing happened. Anyone ever heard of this happening? I thought it
might have something to do with speech recognition but i turned it off and it
still happened. I ran a virus check and the machine came up clean. Any
thought?? thanks.

PTR
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Benjamin

Same characters or multiple characters?

--
Doug Benjamin
Doug Benjamin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33407

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Perry

It just started typing words. Some sentences made sense and some didn't. It
would have kept typing if i let it.

"Doug Benjamin" wrote:

Same characters or multiple characters?

--
Doug Benjamin
Doug Benjamin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33407
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

I had a problem once where my mouse was sticking, and putting out characters
amd doing crazy stuff. If it's putting out actual words, maybe it's ccopying
data?.
What version of Excel do you have?
It souunds to me like a macro with a bug, or a joke or maliciousness. Some
macros automatically run when certain events happen, like opening a document,
or entering data in a cell. Do you know how to look at macros, and where
automatic macros are located? If not, let us know your Excel version.
It could be a virus? Are your virus fix programs up-to-date?
Good luck. If you find out, please let us know.

"Perry" wrote:

I had a user yesterday that had an excel file open and when he clicked a cell
the computer just started typing al by itself. It was pretty strange and
this never happened before. He clossed it then opened a blank file and the
same thing happened. Anyone ever heard of this happening? I thought it
might have something to do with speech recognition but i turned it off and it
still happened. I ran a virus check and the machine came up clean. Any
thought?? thanks.

PTR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Perry

Hello Patricia,

I don't know how to look at macros but I did run a virus scan on the machine
and cam eup with zero viruses. We are running Excel 2003 SP2. any help is
apreciated. thanks.

PTR

"Perry" wrote:

I had a user yesterday that had an excel file open and when he clicked a cell
the computer just started typing al by itself. It was pretty strange and
this never happened before. He clossed it then opened a blank file and the
same thing happened. Anyone ever heard of this happening? I thought it
might have something to do with speech recognition but i turned it off and it
still happened. I ran a virus check and the machine came up clean. Any
thought?? thanks.

PTR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

Go to the Visual Basic Editor (VBE) by clicking Tools/Macros/Visual Basic

On the left side of the VBE screen, there should be a bot with the VBA
(Visual Basic for Applications) projects. If a project (which is a workbook)
has a box with a plus sign (+), click on the plus sign to expand the
selection.
Double click on each of the sheets, including "This Workbook", and see if
you find any code.

"Perry" wrote:

I had a user yesterday that had an excel file open and when he clicked a cell
the computer just started typing al by itself. It was pretty strange and
this never happened before. He clossed it then opened a blank file and the
same thing happened. Anyone ever heard of this happening? I thought it
might have something to do with speech recognition but i turned it off and it
still happened. I ran a virus check and the machine came up clean. Any
thought?? thanks.

PTR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

In the previous msg, near the beginning, when I had "there should be a bot"
it should be "there should be a box"