Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
sacrum

Default Strange problem....excel not responding

Hi all,

I have just migrated my workbook from my standalone laptop to a work
networked pc - My pc uses excel 2003 pro and work pc excel 2003. When I
execute the copied workbook on the n/w pc it opens, I enable macro's no
problem. When I try to do things such as set a print area excel hangs -
taskmgr shows excel as not responding! Everthing is fine on my laptop so
not sure what the issue could be. The VB used is self contained as in it
does not create temporary files or require external data.

Advice welcomed....tia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Mark Lincoln

Is the workbook on the networked PC itself, or are you running it from
a server?

I've had a similar problem on our Novell network. The culprit in our
case is McAfee's VirusShield, which is their equivalent to the Norton
Antivirus AutoProtect. If VirusShield is on, we cannot work with Excel
files stored on the Novell server. But I'm not sure if VirusShield
causes trouble with macros on the local PC.

In short, turn off auto-protection and see if you can use the workbook.
If so, see if you can configure the AV software so it leaves your
workbook alone.

Otherwise, turn off non-essential processes in the Task List one-by-one
(HP printer software installations sometimes cause trouble) and see if
one of those is the problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Tom Ogilvy

When you set a print area, excel accesses the default print driver to do so.
Perhaps your default print driver is corrupt or try setting a different
print driver as the default.

Tom Ogilvy

"sacrum" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have just migrated my workbook from my standalone laptop to a work
networked pc - My pc uses excel 2003 pro and work pc excel 2003. When I
execute the copied workbook on the n/w pc it opens, I enable macro's no
problem. When I try to do things such as set a print area excel hangs -
taskmgr shows excel as not responding! Everthing is fine on my laptop so
not sure what the issue could be. The VB used is self contained as in it
does not create temporary files or require external data.

Advice welcomed....tia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
sacrum

"sacrum" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have just migrated my workbook from my standalone laptop to a work
networked pc - My pc uses excel 2003 pro and work pc excel 2003. When I
execute the copied workbook on the n/w pc it opens, I enable macro's no
problem. When I try to do things such as set a print area excel hangs -
taskmgr shows excel as not responding! Everthing is fine on my laptop so
not sure what the issue could be. The VB used is self contained as in it
does not create temporary files or require external data.

Advice welcomed....tia

you're a clever bunch...excel is installed locally on the nw pc not on a app
server. There were problems with the nw printers today and virus shield is
running. Thanks for the pointers, I'll look into both in the morning..