Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Find the smallest number in a column and change it to red

I have a column of whole numbers. I would like to find the smallest number in the column of numbers and change it's font color to red. How can I do this? Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

C.,

Let's say you wanted to do this for column A...

Select column A and from the menu choose Format - Conditional Formatting
For Condition 1:
Cell Value Is Equal To =MIN($A:$A)
Set your format (ie. Red)
Hit OK

If it doesn't work at first go back in and make sure it hasn't put your condition in
quotes [ie ="=MIN($A:$A)"] if it has just delete the quotes and hit OK

Dan E

"C. Holstein" wrote in message ...
I have a column of whole numbers. I would like to find the smallest number in the column of numbers and change it's font color to

red. How can I do this? Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dan E. your solution, it worked perfectly. I have one more
question.
I have multiple columns of whole numbers, ie:

A B C D
4 5 4 3
5 5 4 4
6 6 5 4
7 4 3 3
6 5 4 4

I would like to find the smallest number in each column and change it to
red, but only if it is the only small number in the column, like 4 in
column A, 4 in column B, 3 in column D and ignore the two 3's in column
D. How can I do this in an Excel worksheet? Again thanks so much for
your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chuck,

Let's say your example was in A1:D6 (including headers) so the
data is in A2:D6.

Select the range (A2:D6) and choose Format - Conditional
Formatting. Under condition 1 choose Formula Is and in the
formula area enter:
=AND(A2=MIN(A$2:A$6),COUNTIF(A$2:A$6,MIN(A$2:A$6)) =1)
Hit OK

Dan E

"Chuck Holstein" wrote in message ...
Thanks Dan E. your solution, it worked perfectly. I have one more
question.
I have multiple columns of whole numbers, ie:

A B C D
4 5 4 3
5 5 4 4
6 6 5 4
7 4 3 3
6 5 4 4

I would like to find the smallest number in each column and change it to
red, but only if it is the only small number in the column, like 4 in
column A, 4 in column B, 3 in column D and ignore the two 3's in column
D. How can I do this in an Excel worksheet? Again thanks so much for
your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dan E. for your kind help. Your solution worked fine.

I have a worksheet that fills columns of cells with whole numbers using
the VLOOKUP command. Your solution works fine unless one of the cell
contains the #N/A error code which occurs when the VLOOKUP can not find
valid information. How can I get your solution to work while ignoring
these error codes? Thanks for your help.
Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chuck,

Here's a revised formula that should do the trick. It ignores #N/A's

=AND(A2=MIN(IF(ISNA(A$2:A$6),"",A$2:A$6)),COUNTIF( A$2:A$6,MIN(A$2:A$6))=1)

Dan E

"Chuck Holstein" wrote in message ...
Thanks Dan E. for your kind help. Your solution worked fine.

I have a worksheet that fills columns of cells with whole numbers using
the VLOOKUP command. Your solution works fine unless one of the cell
contains the #N/A error code which occurs when the VLOOKUP can not find
valid information. How can I get your solution to work while ignoring
these error codes? Thanks for your help.
Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Cuck,

Upon further testing that previous post should be ignored it fails if their
are more than 1 #N/A's, This one is the right one...

=AND(A2=MIN(IF(ISNA(A$2:A$6),"",A$2:A$6)),COUNTIF( A$2:A$6,MIN(IF(ISNA(A$2:A$6),"",A$2:A$6)))=1)

Dan E

"Chuck Holstein" wrote in message ...
Thanks Dan E. for your kind help. Your solution worked fine.

I have a worksheet that fills columns of cells with whole numbers using
the VLOOKUP command. Your solution works fine unless one of the cell
contains the #N/A error code which occurs when the VLOOKUP can not find
valid information. How can I get your solution to work while ignoring
these error codes? Thanks for your help.
Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dan E.
It seems like the conditional format isn't working this time.
Would it be possible for me to send you a copy of my workbook by email.
I would appreciate it if you would check it out to see where I went
wrong. Write to me and I will forward it on. Thanks again for your
time and help.

Chuck