Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Find X number of smallest values in a range

I have a range of cells (say 10 cells) with various numbers in them. I need
to find the average of the 5 smallest numbers in the range.

How do I do that?

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try one of these. I'm assuming there will be at least 5 numbers to average.

=AVERAGE(SMALL(A1:A10,{1,2,3,4,5}))

If there might be duplicates that meet the condition and you want to include
those then use this array formula** . I'm assuming there are no empty cells
in the range.

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A10<=SMALL(A1:A10,5),A1:A10))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP