Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Wrong data format in columns ... What's going on?

I get a sheet of data from a friend to look at ... It wonąt sort!

It looks as if some of the data is text, but some is still in numerical
format ... How is this able to be change ...

We have found a work-around: if you edit in cell and hit enter it sometimes
accepts your data type. However, changing it in FormatCells, does not
work.

Help!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks

Brad.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wrong data format in columns ... What's going on?often data brought in from
external sources can be saved as text instead of numbers.

On way to fix this is to select the column, then format as general, then do
Data=Text to Column

Select delimited and choose a delimiter that is not contained in the
numbers. then click OK and the items that are text should be reevaluated as
numbers.

Tom Ogilvy

"Brad Patterson" wrote in message
I get a sheet of data from a friend to look at ... It won't sort!

It looks as if some of the data is text, but some is still in numerical
format ... How is this able to be change ...

We have found a work-around: if you edit in cell and hit enter it sometimes
accepts your data type. However, changing it in FormatCells, does not
work.

Help!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks

Brad.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the tip tom, it also lets me do text, which is good.

Could I write a macro to do this for me? I guess I could record me doing it
and see ... Ta.

Cheers,
Brad.)