lwreece

Default Exported Data to excel appearing wrong in Columns

Exported data into an excel spreadsheet from an Access database. The
database reports the informaton correctly in reports, but to excel, it
doesn't display all the columns correctly. The format for the data is dash,
number, alpha, number, number, number, -1A111. I tried formatting it but it
made it worse.
Can anyone let me know what I may need to do to fix this?
Gary Brown

How does it display?
Show us what it should look like (as in the Access report) and what it looks
like in the Excel import. You've mentioned that columns (plural) don't
display correctly, but you've only given one piece of data (-1A111). We
need more info.

"lwreece" wrote in message
Exported data into an excel spreadsheet from an Access database. The
database reports the informaton correctly in reports, but to excel, it
doesn't display all the columns correctly. The format for the data is
dash,
number, alpha, number, number, number, -1A111. I tried formatting it but
it
made it worse.
Can anyone let me know what I may need to do to fix this?

lwreece

Here is what it looks like in Access:
-8D000

After I export to Excel it appears like this:
-8

I must say that this doesn't happen on all columns, it is only appearing on
ones like above and a few others. There is only a handful that is doesn't
work on.
For example:
In access I show multiple data in the same column:
-1N171
In Excel it appears identical.

But like the one that doesn't work above I show in access
-62E4
And in Excel I show
-6200000

I believe this is just a formatting thing, but I can't figure how to get it
to work so that all the data appears the same.

"lwreece" wrote in message
Exported data into an excel spreadsheet from an Access database. The
database reports the informaton correctly in reports, but to excel, it
doesn't display all the columns correctly. The format for the data is
dash,
number, alpha, number, number, number, -1A111. I tried formatting it but
it
made it worse.
Can anyone let me know what I may need to do to fix this?

Dave Peterson

I think you're getting hit by a coincidence.

Excel sees your entries as scientific notation:

62E4 = 62*(10^4) = 62*(10000) = 620000

And excel sees the D as the same.
-8D000 = -8*(10^0) = -8*(1) = -8

I don't know anything about Access, but can you force that field to be Text in
Access? Maybe it'll come across as text in Excel.

--

Dave Peterson