Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
phil2006

Default Automatic data entry

I have a distances grid. I need the data from the grid to enter into my
sheet automatically when I type the two towns into columns 1 and 2. SO
when I type tow towns into the sheet it reads the distance from the
corresponding box in the grid. Vlookup hasn't worked for me so far.

Thanks

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Franz Verga

Nel post
*phil2006* ha scritto:

I have a distances grid. I need the data from the grid to enter into
my sheet automatically when I type the two towns into columns 1 and
2. SO when I type tow towns into the sheet it reads the distance from
the corresponding box in the grid. Vlookup hasn't worked for me so
far.

Thanks

How are your data: row, columns, and so on.

If you don't tell us ho your data are on the worksheet, it'quite impossible
to help you...

Help us to help you... :-)

--
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
paul

if you are mimicking a "normal" distance table you will need to have a cell
for the vlookup value,then a match function in your lookup to find the
appropriate column
something like =
vlookup(city1,distance_table,match(city2,city2name row,0),false)
I suggest your two lookup values are chosen from dv list or combo box so
that you always get the spelling right and you choose the right cities from
the column or row

paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Nel post
*phil2006* ha scritto:

I have a distances grid. I need the data from the grid to enter into
my sheet automatically when I type the two towns into columns 1 and
2. SO when I type tow towns into the sheet it reads the distance from
the corresponding box in the grid. Vlookup hasn't worked for me so
far.

Thanks

How are your data: row, columns, and so on.

If you don't tell us ho your data are on the worksheet, it'quite impossible
to help you...

Help us to help you... :-)

--
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
phil2006

My grid is on sheet2, the city names are in row 1 and column A. I am
typing the names on sheet 1 in columns 1 and 2 hopin to achieve a
distance in column 3.

Thanks!!

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=555195

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Franz Verga

Nel post
*phil2006* ha scritto:

My grid is on sheet2, the city names are in row 1 and column A. I am
typing the names on sheet 1 in columns 1 and 2 hopin to achieve a
distance in column 3.

Thanks!!

I think Paul gave you the right answer. I would suggested the same too.

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Example only....adjust ranges and cities.

You have a table A1:J10

Leave A1 blank.

Say A2:A10 contains city and B1:J1 contains city1

e.g

A2 = Quebec
B1 = Quebec1

A3 = Ottawa
C1 = Ottawa1

A4 = Timmins
D1 = Timmins1

B2:J10 contains mileages.

One method is to select the entire table A1:J10 then choose
InsertNameCreate, and select top row and left column.

Then use the intersect functionality:

=city city1

In above example =quebec ottawa1

This will return the value of the cell at the intersection of city and city1

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 04:03:39 -0500, phil2006
wrote:

I have a distances grid. I need the data from the grid to enter into my
sheet automatically when I type the two towns into columns 1 and 2. SO
when I type tow towns into the sheet it reads the distance from the
corresponding box in the grid. Vlookup hasn't worked for me so far.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

Actually Gord, as long as:

<Tools <Options <Calculation tab,
"Accept Labels In Formulas" *IS* checked.

No additional names need to be created.

A formula containing the existing cities from the grid will return the
values.

=row_city col_city

will work, with the exception of both names being the same.

Also, has to be on the same sheet as the grid.

Your suggestion enables the formulas to work on *other* sheets, but problem
comes in when the grid has duplicate names in the columns and rows.
Makes it necessary (as I see you described ... Quebec, Quebec1), to assign
"false" names to the row or the column cities.

However, what I described, and what you described, does not do what the OP
has requested, namely, returning grid values in a column adjoining 2 columns
containing 2 city names.
It's doubtful that he wants the users to actually enter formulas, no matter
how concise they may be (though I could be wrong).

So, using your 'name create' procedure for the grid on Sheet2, with "false"
names in the duplicate column cities (say "1" appended),
AND ... the user being told to enter on Sheet1,
in A1 and B1:

City1 City

Then in C1 we can try this:

=INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1) INDIRECT(B1&":"&B1)

Note the <space between the Indirects.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

wrote:

I have a distances grid. I need the data from the grid to enter into my
sheet automatically when I type the two towns into columns 1 and 2. SO
when I type tow towns into the sheet it reads the distance from the
corresponding box in the grid. Vlookup hasn't worked for me so far.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben