Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default Automatic data entry

Thanks RD

We'll get that cat skinned yet<g

Gord

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:03:05 -0700, "RagDyeR" wrote:

Actually Gord, as long as:

<Tools <Options <Calculation tab,
"Accept Labels In Formulas" *IS* checked.

No additional names need to be created.

A formula containing the existing cities from the grid will return the
values.

=row_city col_city

will work, with the exception of both names being the same.

Also, has to be on the same sheet as the grid.

Your suggestion enables the formulas to work on *other* sheets, but problem
comes in when the grid has duplicate names in the columns and rows.
Makes it necessary (as I see you described ... Quebec, Quebec1), to assign
"false" names to the row or the column cities.

However, what I described, and what you described, does not do what the OP
has requested, namely, returning grid values in a column adjoining 2 columns
containing 2 city names.
It's doubtful that he wants the users to actually enter formulas, no matter
how concise they may be (though I could be wrong).

So, using your 'name create' procedure for the grid on Sheet2, with "false"
names in the duplicate column cities (say "1" appended),
AND ... the user being told to enter on Sheet1,
in A1 and B1:

City1 City

Then in C1 we can try this:

=INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1) INDIRECT(B1&":"&B1)

Note the <space between the Indirects.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP