Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default Automatic data entry

Example only....adjust ranges and cities.

You have a table A1:J10

Leave A1 blank.

Say A2:A10 contains city and B1:J1 contains city1

e.g

A2 = Quebec
B1 = Quebec1

A3 = Ottawa
C1 = Ottawa1

A4 = Timmins
D1 = Timmins1

B2:J10 contains mileages.

One method is to select the entire table A1:J10 then choose
InsertNameCreate, and select top row and left column.

Then use the intersect functionality:

=city city1

In above example =quebec ottawa1

This will return the value of the cell at the intersection of city and city1

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 04:03:39 -0500, phil2006
wrote:

I have a distances grid. I need the data from the grid to enter into my
sheet automatically when I type the two towns into columns 1 and 2. SO
when I type tow towns into the sheet it reads the distance from the
corresponding box in the grid. Vlookup hasn't worked for me so far.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP