Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mangal Singh

Default Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

If you have a legal copy of 2007 you should know there is a PW protected
newsgroup for beta testers

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mangal Singh

I looked at http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups and found this
group to be the most appropriate forum. Sometimes it does get really hard to
find the appropriate forum to bring up those issues. I think MS hasn't
updated all the links for this Office 2007 beta release.

Mangal

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

If you are a beta tester you should have gotten an email with all the info on
how to
log on to microsoft's beta web site, there you can get the necessary passwords
and instructions on how to use those newsgroups and download the latest beta.

Peo

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mangal Singh

Not for the public beta release that happened yesterday. No emails, nothing.
If I had received an email I wouldn't be writing here now, would I?

Mangal

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

That would depend on if you are a legal beta tester or if you have an
illegal copy, wouldn't it?
Regardless, I am talking about beta 1, the version you are using, those
emails went out over 6 months ago

Peo

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in
Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it
lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the
3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes
almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro
SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I
know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mangal Singh

I don't know what gives you the idea that I'm using beta 1. And what do you
mean by legal. I don't know where you live but pretty much the whole world
can now "legally" download the office 2007 beta 2 from Microsoft's site. So
your comments have been anything but helpful. Instead, you've managed to draw
me into this unnecessary argument about legal and illegal beta. Again, let me
emphasize, a public beta version was released yesterday (05/23/2006). I'm
talking about that. It was a straight download without any information about
a special newsgroup or any such thing. I guess that clarifies things for you.

Mangal

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in
Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it
lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the
3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes
almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro
SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I
know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

You are right, I apologize. I truly didn't know it was available for anyone,
I thought it was the same as with beta1.

Peo Sjoblom

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.outlook.general
cmcarthy

I'm having the exact problem! Every program hangs! I live in Outlook so this
is making me consider going back to Office 2003.

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Roady [MVP]

I explained performance issues here before already;

Running it here and it uses "only" 64MB. Total memory usage also depends on
how many add-ins you have running. These will all disguise under the
outlook.exe process. Note that memory management works differently and it
depends on how many free RAM you have. As long as there is still RAM
available and no other application requests it there is no reason to return
this memory even when what Outlook keeps in RAM currently isn't being used.
This way when you do use it Outlook will respond faster. If another
application requests the memory and Outlook isn't actively using the memory
it's "hogging" it will be returned to the system which it will assign it to
the other application. In addition note that BETA products will use more
memory than final products since there hasn't been done much code
optimization in a BETA.

As for the slowness; especially on first startup it is slow since Outlook
converts a whole bunch of stuff. The indexer will slow down Outlook a bit as
well but once the initial index have been built speed will return (typing in
Outlook lagged for over a second directly after installation of BETA 2 for
me). And again; it's BETA, reponsiveness isn't indicative for the final
product yet. This will start at RC1 level.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007
and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost
the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2
and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

From the Office 2007 Beta site
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...tthebeta.mspx:

About Beta Software
a.. Registration is required for participation.
b.. 2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2 is for evaluation and planning
purposes only.
c.. Beta software does not necessarily display the same high level of
stability of shipped Microsoft products.
d.. Beta testers may experience problems with 2007 Microsoft Office system
Beta 2 products that could potentially result in loss, corruption, or
destruction of existing data.
e.. This beta testing release is not appropriate for production use.
f.. It is strongly recommended that you back up your existing data before
you install and run this software.
g.. Beta code is offered "as is," and does not include technical support.
h.. Many organizations have policies prohibiting unauthorized software
installation on company-owned computers. Make sure you check with your IT
department before downloading and installing 2007 Microsoft Office system
Beta 2 on your computer at work.
Please note bullets 4 & 5.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, cmcarthy asked: