Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Default Office 2003 - "autocomplete" in file | open or file | save no longer works

-- This was posted in m.p.office.misc on Jan 7 2005 with no replies - trying
here as well; hope crosspost doesn't annoy anyone --

-----------------------------

Hi - I have a client with Office 2003 SP1 on WinXP SP2 - a heavy Word user &
generally quite tech-savvy.

He says that recently, the default behavior in Word (and, all his Office
applications) has changed - he used to be able to select File | Open, and
enter the first letter of a filename, and it would autocomplete/suggest the
file name both in-line and in a drop-down list. Now it isn't, and he can't
think of anything he's done to change this behavior, and would like it
restored.

I had him test this in Excel 2003 as well & the same results occur -
although he doesn't really care much about this in anything other than Word.

Autocomplete in Windows (e.g., file | run...) works fine. Autocomplete for
e-mail addresses in OL2003 works fine.

I've compared all his Word options settings to mine (on which the
autocomplete feature does work) and can't see anything different. So I'm
hoping one of the Office/Word gurus might have an idea?

I found a KB article, but it discusses Word 2000 only
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289193
....I don't have the regkey mentioned in my (working) computer, and I doubt
highly he'd mucked about with anything in his registry.

Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Rech

I'm sure he didn't deliberately create this registry entry however Office is
acting as if that entry is there. I didn't have the entry either but when I
created it and set its value to "No" sure enough I lost auto complete in the
File, Open dialog on Excel 2003.

So I'd definitely check his registry (under Office 11 of course).

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
ahoo.com wrote in message
| -- This was posted in m.p.office.misc on Jan 7 2005 with no replies -
trying
| here as well; hope crosspost doesn't annoy anyone --
|
| -----------------------------
|
| Hi - I have a client with Office 2003 SP1 on WinXP SP2 - a heavy Word user
&
| generally quite tech-savvy.
|
| He says that recently, the default behavior in Word (and, all his Office
| applications) has changed - he used to be able to select File | Open, and
| enter the first letter of a filename, and it would autocomplete/suggest
the
| file name both in-line and in a drop-down list. Now it isn't, and he can't
| think of anything he's done to change this behavior, and would like it
| restored.
|
| I had him test this in Excel 2003 as well & the same results occur -
| although he doesn't really care much about this in anything other than
Word.

| Autocomplete in Windows (e.g., file | run...) works fine. Autocomplete for
| e-mail addresses in OL2003 works fine.
|
| I've compared all his Word options settings to mine (on which the
| autocomplete feature does work) and can't see anything different. So I'm
| hoping one of the Office/Word gurus might have an idea?
|
| I found a KB article, but it discusses Word 2000 only
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289193
| ...I don't have the regkey mentioned in my (working) computer, and I doubt
| highly he'd mucked about with anything in his registry.
|
| Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks!

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Jim Rech wrote:
I'm sure he didn't deliberately create this registry entry however
Office is acting as if that entry is there. I didn't have the entry
either but when I created it and set its value to "No" sure enough I
lost auto complete in the File, Open dialog on Excel 2003.

So I'd definitely check his registry (under Office 11 of course).

Thanks much for your reply - I just emailed him & asked him to check, and it
doesn't work for him. I don't have that entry in my registry but my
WXP/O2003 computer works fine. Any other ideas?

-- This was posted in m.p.office.misc on Jan 7 2005 with no replies
- trying here as well; hope crosspost doesn't annoy anyone --

-----------------------------

Hi - I have a client with Office 2003 SP1 on WinXP SP2 - a heavy
Word user & generally quite tech-savvy.

He says that recently, the default behavior in Word (and, all his
Office applications) has changed - he used to be able to select File
| Open, and enter the first letter of a filename, and it would
autocomplete/suggest the file name both in-line and in a drop-down
list. Now it isn't, and he can't think of anything he's done to
change this behavior, and would like it restored.

I had him test this in Excel 2003 as well & the same results occur -
although he doesn't really care much about this in anything other
than Word.

Autocomplete in Windows (e.g., file | run...) works fine.
Autocomplete for e-mail addresses in OL2003 works fine.

I've compared all his Word options settings to mine (on which the
autocomplete feature does work) and can't see anything different. So
I'm hoping one of the Office/Word gurus might have an idea?

I found a KB article, but it discusses Word 2000 only
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289193
...I don't have the regkey mentioned in my (working) computer, and I
doubt highly he'd mucked about with anything in his registry.

Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Rech

I don't have that entry in my registry but my WXP/O2003 computer works
fine.

Yes, that's right. It's the presence of the reg entry that causes the
problem since the default is to have autocomplete.

it doesn't work for him.

Does that mean he checked and he does not have the reg entry?

No other ideas, sorry. I thought maybe the TweakUI setting for AutoComplete
might be involved but it does not seem to affect Excel 2003.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
ahoo.com wrote in message
| Jim Rech wrote:
| I'm sure he didn't deliberately create this registry entry however
| Office is acting as if that entry is there. I didn't have the entry
| either but when I created it and set its value to "No" sure enough I
| lost auto complete in the File, Open dialog on Excel 2003.
|
| So I'd definitely check his registry (under Office 11 of course).
|
| Thanks much for your reply - I just emailed him & asked him to check, and
it
| doesn't work for him. I don't have that entry in my registry but my
| WXP/O2003 computer works fine. Any other ideas?
|

| -- This was posted in m.p.office.misc on Jan 7 2005 with no replies
| - trying here as well; hope crosspost doesn't annoy anyone --
|
| -----------------------------
|
| Hi - I have a client with Office 2003 SP1 on WinXP SP2 - a heavy
| Word user & generally quite tech-savvy.
|
| He says that recently, the default behavior in Word (and, all his
| Office applications) has changed - he used to be able to select File
| | Open, and enter the first letter of a filename, and it would
| autocomplete/suggest the file name both in-line and in a drop-down
| list. Now it isn't, and he can't think of anything he's done to
| change this behavior, and would like it restored.
|
| I had him test this in Excel 2003 as well & the same results occur -
| although he doesn't really care much about this in anything other
| than Word.
|
| Autocomplete in Windows (e.g., file | run...) works fine.
| Autocomplete for e-mail addresses in OL2003 works fine.
|
| I've compared all his Word options settings to mine (on which the
| autocomplete feature does work) and can't see anything different. So
| I'm hoping one of the Office/Word gurus might have an idea?
|
| I found a KB article, but it discusses Word 2000 only
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289193
| ...I don't have the regkey mentioned in my (working) computer, and I
| doubt highly he'd mucked about with anything in his registry.
|
| Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks!

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Jim Rech wrote:
I don't have that entry in my registry but my WXP/O2003 computer
works fine.

Yes, that's right. It's the presence of the reg entry that causes the
problem since the default is to have autocomplete.

it doesn't work for him.

Does that mean he checked and he does not have the reg entry?

Correct, he didn't - but he added it with the Yes value, and it made no
difference.

No other ideas, sorry. I thought maybe the TweakUI setting for
AutoComplete might be involved but it does not seem to affect Excel
2003.

Thanks for your help anyway. This seems to be affecting all Office 2003
apps. I may just do a reinstall & see what happens. If anyone else has any
ideas, feel free to chime in!