Plodhia

Default Cannot open a file that Excel says is open

My computer had to be rebooted when I had an Excel file open. After
rebooting, when I tried to open the file, it has the file is open for
editing and does not allow me to open the file in normal mode. How do I set
the file to be closed, so I can open it normally?

Dave Peterson

Maybe cleaning your windows Temp folder would help.

Debra Dalgleish has a suggestion to this FAQ:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and locked for editing.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP