Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Roady [MVP]

Default Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

I explained performance issues here before already;

Running it here and it uses "only" 64MB. Total memory usage also depends on
how many add-ins you have running. These will all disguise under the
outlook.exe process. Note that memory management works differently and it
depends on how many free RAM you have. As long as there is still RAM
available and no other application requests it there is no reason to return
this memory even when what Outlook keeps in RAM currently isn't being used.
This way when you do use it Outlook will respond faster. If another
application requests the memory and Outlook isn't actively using the memory
it's "hogging" it will be returned to the system which it will assign it to
the other application. In addition note that BETA products will use more
memory than final products since there hasn't been done much code
optimization in a BETA.

As for the slowness; especially on first startup it is slow since Outlook
converts a whole bunch of stuff. The indexer will slow down Outlook a bit as
well but once the initial index have been built speed will return (typing in
Outlook lagged for over a second directly after installation of BETA 2 for
me). And again; it's BETA, reponsiveness isn't indicative for the final
product yet. This will start at RC1 level.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"cmcarthy" wrote in message
I'm having the exact problem! Every program hangs! I live in Outlook so this
is making me consider going back to Office 2003.

"Mangal Singh" wrote:

I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007
and
the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost
the
feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
from many angles.

Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2
and
the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

Mangal