Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
seanryann

Default Am I Looking For Something That Doesn't Exist?

I have a fairly complicated spreadsheet, with basic formulas, but many
cells that inter-relate with each other.

I am looking for a way in which I can simply create an option so that
you type in a number into a cell off to the side of the main part of
the sheet(which would change, say, revenue), and it will show how it
affects another cell (say, return on investment).

I want to make the spreadsheet more user-friendly, so that outside
users don't have to go into the main part of the sheet and enter
specific numbers to see how it affects other cells.

Does that make any sense? Is there a way to do such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32599

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davesexcel

Do you want a userform? Where a box pops up and there will be boxes on
the form tied into cells on your spreadsheet?

--
davesexcel
davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
seanryann

I'm honestly not sure.

If you think something like that would work best, than I can't argue.
You have infinately more Excel knowledge than I.

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32599
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach

I don't know much about what you have, but it sounds like you could use a
cell reference or cell name in your formulas. Then when you change the
contents of that one cell, the change will be carried throughout your sheet.
This is commonly done. Does this help? Otto
"seanryann" wrote in
message ...

I have a fairly complicated spreadsheet, with basic formulas, but many
cells that inter-relate with each other.

I am looking for a way in which I can simply create an option so that
you type in a number into a cell off to the side of the main part of
the sheet(which would change, say, revenue), and it will show how it
affects another cell (say, return on investment).

I want to make the spreadsheet more user-friendly, so that outside
users don't have to go into the main part of the sheet and enter
specific numbers to see how it affects other cells.

Does that make any sense? Is there a way to do such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

In this case, a cell reference is created by simply replacing a value in a
formula with a cell address that contains a value.

For example, the formula:
=125+250

Can be revised to:
=A1+B1

Where you enter values in A1 and B1 to change the results of the formula
without changing the formula itself.

Carrying this a step further, say you have a formula for calculating sales
tax.
The sales amounts are in Column A, from A1 to A10.
In B1 you enter the formula:

=A1*0.0825

And copy it down to B10.
So that the formulas look like,
=A2*0.0825
=A3*0.0825
=A4*0.0825
.... etc.

BUT ..
say you now have to change the tax formula for customers in a different
city.

Instead of going through every formula and revising it, you could use a cell
reference for the sales tax and revise the formulas by changing the contents
of a single cell.

Say you use C1 for the tax rate.
Just enter
0.0825
into C1, and use this formula.

=A1*$C$1

You'll have to make C1 an *absolute* reference, so that it will *not* change
(increment), when you copy the formula down Column B.

=A2*$C$1
=A3*$C$1
=A4*$C$1
.... etc.

Does this help you understand using cell references?
--
HTH,

RD

"seanryann" wrote
in message ...

Otto, yes it does. Thank you.

Is there a web page that would help me to create cell references? I'm
unfamiliar with them.

Thanks again.

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
seanryann

Ragdyer, thank you. It does indeed help.

I guess now that I know my options, it sounds like a "userbox" may be
the way to go, for my current situation.

I'll look into how to use them. I haven't created one before...

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32599
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davesexcel

I guess now that I know my options, it sounds like a "userbox" may be
the way to go, for my current situation.

I'll look into how to use them. I haven't created one before...

What do you want to happen?

Somebody, enters some numbers and, the results show up,below or beside,
whereever, but they do not have to see the entire worksheet, is that
what we are looking at??

--
davesexcel
davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
seanryann

Or is there a way I can have a dialogue box open up, and the user can
enter numbers into it, and it changes specific numbers in the
spreadsheet? Then the pre-entered fuctions would take over from there.

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32599
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach

You can have a macro that displays an InputBox asking for whatever you want
to ask for. The same macro will then put that number (or whatever) in some
cell that is referenced in the formulas. Same thing as before except that
the macro asks for and puts the number in the cell in. HTH Otto
"seanryann" wrote
in message ...

Or is there a way I can have a dialogue box open up, and the user can
enter numbers into it, and it changes specific numbers in the
spreadsheet? Then the pre-entered fuctions would take over from there.

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
seanryann

Is there a way I can modify a cell right in the same spreadsheet, that
would manipulate a number that's already part of the spreadsheet, and
thus, the change other numbers that are connected to it via formulas?

--
seanryann
seanryann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32599
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524007