Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaveyC4S

Default Can Excel ignore file links that do not yet exist?

I have a set of formulae of the type below:

=SUM('V:\DailyReports\Brasil\2006\[BRA-2006-01-31.xls]EquipDataCollation'!$D$5:$F$5)

I am transferring the generation of quarterly reports to others and wish to
make it as easy as possible for them to update data. Therefore I would like
to generate formulae of the form above relating to files that do not yet
exist. The filename format is standardised.

What I can't seem to get Excel to do is ignore formulae where the file it
refers to does not exist yet.

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jonathan Cooper

Try this:
=IF(ISERROR(SUM('V:\DailyReports\Brasil\2006\[BRA-2006-01-31.xls]EquipDataCollation'!$D$5:$F$5)),"",SUM('V:\DailyRe ports\Brasil\2006\[BRA-2006-01-31.xls]EquipDataCollation'!$D$5:$F$5)).

When you hit enter, it will prompt you for the link. I hit escape, and it
seemed to work.

"DaveyC4S" wrote:

I have a set of formulae of the type below:

=SUM('V:\DailyReports\Brasil\2006\[BRA-2006-01-31.xls]EquipDataCollation'!$D$5:$F$5)

I am transferring the generation of quarterly reports to others and wish to
make it as easy as possible for them to update data. Therefore I would like
to generate formulae of the form above relating to files that do not yet
exist. The filename format is standardised.

What I can't seem to get Excel to do is ignore formulae where the file it
refers to does not exist yet.

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaveyC4S

Jonathan

I tried this but my aim is to avoid numerous Update Links prompts which
would happen as I have several thousand link formulae of this type.

My interim solution is to use Find/Replace and replace = with #= which
effectively switches off the formulae until they are required when
Find/Replace is used to reverse the process.

At the moment I am not sure if there is a way of Excel seeing that a link
does not exist and not reacting with an Update Link prompt but merely leaving
the cell at a default value.

Thanks for your help
Dave