Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Default Am I Looking For Something That Doesn't Exist?

In this case, a cell reference is created by simply replacing a value in a
formula with a cell address that contains a value.

For example, the formula:
=125+250

Can be revised to:
=A1+B1

Where you enter values in A1 and B1 to change the results of the formula
without changing the formula itself.

Carrying this a step further, say you have a formula for calculating sales
tax.
The sales amounts are in Column A, from A1 to A10.
In B1 you enter the formula:

=A1*0.0825

And copy it down to B10.
So that the formulas look like,
=A2*0.0825
=A3*0.0825
=A4*0.0825
.... etc.

BUT ..
say you now have to change the tax formula for customers in a different
city.

Instead of going through every formula and revising it, you could use a cell
reference for the sales tax and revise the formulas by changing the contents
of a single cell.

Say you use C1 for the tax rate.
Just enter
0.0825
into C1, and use this formula.

=A1*$C$1

You'll have to make C1 an *absolute* reference, so that it will *not* change
(increment), when you copy the formula down Column B.

=A2*$C$1
=A3*$C$1
=A4*$C$1
.... etc.

Does this help you understand using cell references?
--
HTH,

RD

"seanryann" wrote
in message ...

Otto, yes it does. Thank you.

Is there a web page that would help me to create cell references? I'm
unfamiliar with them.

Thanks again.

--
seanryann