Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jack

Default xlstart

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Jack wrote:
A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

--------------------------

Have you checked ToolsOptionsGeneral and looked in the box labeled
"Alternative startup file location"? Does it indeed point to the correct
subdirectory?

Also have you checked to see whether your Personal.xls (or whatever name you
use) still actually exists in the proper subdirectory?

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Jack

How do you know it is not opening?

You have macros assigned to buttons and when you click you get error message?

Perhaps it is opening "hidden".

WindowsUnhide. Is it there?

If not, hit HelpAbout Microsoft ExcelDisbled Items.

Has it been disabled? If so try enabling.

Second point......you should, for safety's sake, keep your security on "medium".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:21:09 -0800, "Jack"
wrote:

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Jack,
One point that was not mentioned is that the personal.xls
workbook is normally hidden so that the macros in it can be
used by other workbooks without having to specify the
workbookname. Unfortunately that does not apply to UDF
(User Defined Functions) as well (maybe fortunately from
Microsoft's viewpoint in debugging). All files in the XLSTART
directory will be opened by Excel.
---
HTH,

wrote:

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ggt

"Jack" wrote:

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

I have the same problem you had a while ago. Did you manage to solve it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Excel may have had a problem with the workbook. Go to the Help
menu, choose About Excel, and click the Disabled Items button. If
you see personal.xls there, enable it.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ggt" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote:

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was
opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what
happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro
security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

I have the same problem you had a while ago. Did you manage to
solve it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dantee

'preciate you all sharing your know-how. very helpful... yeah, this is the
second time this PERSONAL.XLS was taking things personal with me! And on my
own laptop this time (vs. the at-work pc).... how rude! The last time I got
around it by making an all-out search for PERSONAL.XLS and once found, I
created a shortcut to where I could open it anytime I needed it (almost
everytime I opened Excel). I did not lose any macros, but it was a very ugly
and cheap solution nonetheless. Almost as good as using a paper clip to
replace a screw in my glasses. I also did not know that Excel creates a
PERSONAL.XLS the first time you create a macro... that may be useful if you
want to start your macros from scratch again. But still, the solution Gord
Dibben and Chip Pearson gave is the best... about going to "Help" on the
Excel Menu, then "About Microsoft Excel", then "Disabled Items", then
"PERSONAL.XLS", then "Enable", then exiting Excel so that it will take
effect. Wow... and this way you don't lose any macros you may have had there
and you don't have to open PERSONAL.XLS everytime you need it (like I did for
about six months). Glad you guys answered Jack & ggt.... 'cause I was #3.

dantee.

"ggt" wrote:

"Jack" wrote:

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

I have the same problem you had a while ago. Did you manage to solve it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boopaholic

Chip,
I am so glad I found your response. My personal workbook stopped opening at
start-up yesterday and it was extremely frustrating! I've search high and
low for an answer, but your reply saved my sanity!

Thanks so much!
Shannon

"ggt" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote:

A week ago, the personal workbook under xlstart folder was
opening when I
start excel. it has all my macros that I use. I dont know what
happened but
it stopped opening the personal workbook on startup. My macro
security is on
Low.

I don't know what is happening. Can anyone help...

I have the same problem you had a while ago. Did you manage to
solve it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zurn

Hello, I'm #4 with the problem ;)

Is there a way to get the PERSONAL.XLS back by VBA code?

--
Zurn
Zurn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14645

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another solution to consider is this one I made up tonight:

Within ToolsOptionsGeneral (tab) it looks like Excel will not allow you to
point the "At startup, open all files in:" to the already existing XLSTART
folder/directoy on you local hard drive. After saving and moving my old
PERSONAL.XLS to another folder (leaving XLSTART blank) I first undisabled
(HelpAbout Microsoft ExcelDisabled items) the PERSONAL.XLS file and then
created a new macro (via recording) and saved it to my personal macro
workbook. I went back into the XLSTART folder and replaced the PERSONAL.XLS
for the older version that included all my older macros. It workded fine
(maybe the disabling was all it took, but I'm not sure).