Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Default XLStart doesn't always

I have a couple of small files that open automagically when I start Excel97 that
hold common functions and macros I've developed. All is well with the world.

The thing is though, that sometimes I'll have another application which has
generated Excel data. And when I push the appropriate button it opens up
Excel97 and dumps that data into an empty sheet as it should.

However, when Excel97 is opened from another program like that it does not
automatically also load my files from the XLStart folder. So when I start
manipulating the data my various library tools are not available and I
frequently seem to need to save everything, close Excel, then reopen Excel from
the desktop to get everything running properly. Just opening the library files
from within Excel after it's open doesn't always seem to work.

Is there some way to force Excel97 to automatically load its XLStart files even
when Excel has been invoked from another program rather than from the desktop?

Thanks...

Bill
Ron de Bruin

You must load the Add-ins with code if you use open Excel from a other program

When excel is started through automation, addins are not loaded to
save time. You must load them overtly.

This was suggested by KeepItCool and should work:

code from KeepItCool (Oct 21, 2004)
Sub LoadXLwithAddins()
Dim xl As Object
Dim ai As Object

Set xl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

For Each ai In Application.AddIns
If ai.Installed Then
xl.Workbooks.Open(ai.FullName).RunAutoMacros 1
End If
Next

xl.Visible = True
Set xl = Nothing

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

Ron de Bruin wrote:
You must load the Add-ins with code if you use open Excel from a other program

When excel is started through automation, addins are not loaded to
save time. You must load them overtly.

This was suggested by KeepItCool and should work:

code from KeepItCool (Oct 21, 2004)
Sub LoadXLwithAddins()
Dim xl As Object
Dim ai As Object

Set xl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

For Each ai In Application.AddIns
If ai.Installed Then
xl.Workbooks.Open(ai.FullName).RunAutoMacros 1
End If
Next

xl.Visible = True
Set xl = Nothing
End Sub

These are canned apps calling Excel -- nothing that I have access to the code
for. Things like web browsers, OCR software, etc.

Bill