Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clayton

Default Running a script while editing a cell

I have found that scripts will not execute if you are editing a cell. Is
there anyway around this?

--
clayton
clayton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4563

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clayton

Maybe I should have elaborated more.
I have a UPS. When the power fails the software will create a dummy
file which my excel file looks for. If the file exists then the saving
of files process will begin.
I have a timer set to check if that file exists. If you are editing a
cell the script can not run. So, if someone left a cell in edit mode
and walked away then the UPS would eventually shutdown windows losing
the data.

I've tried having the script change to a different sheet. I've tried
using sendkeys to send a ~ or {RIGHT} but nothing works because nothing
will execute in edit mode.

--
clayton
clayton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4563
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493669

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Did you try sending an escape key in your script? Although, I would get that
would behave much like the enter key.

I don't have a guess...

If you don't get a good response here, you may want to post in one of the
scripting newsgroups.

clayton wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't know of any setting that would work (and I doubt that there is one).

But if you don't get an answer here, you may want to post in the scripting
groups or even VB. I haven't spent that much time automating excel from an
outside program.

clayton wrote:

Thank you for your response Mr. Peterson. You having the status you do
on this forum my hopes have pretty well been dashed now that you say
there isn't anything YOU can think of..

I hope someone will come up with some sort of a solution. This is the
only thing that could really make a mess of my whole project.

Is there some sort of setting in Excel itself that disallows script
running while in edit mode? Its a long shot but at this point I am
grasping at straws...

--
clayton
clayton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4563
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493669

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clayton

Ok, Thank you.

Can you point me in the right direction? I don't see a forum for VB or
scripting groups? Is it here on excelforum.com or in a usergroup
somewhere?

--
clayton
clayton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4563
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493669

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Here are a few:

or

You should be able to just click on one of these links and Outlook Express
should open.

If not, try copying and pasting the address into Internet Explorer's address
bar.

And if you get industrious, don't forget to try searching google:
for as many key words as you can think of.

clayton wrote:

Ok, Thank you.

Can you point me in the right direction? I don't see a forum for VB or
scripting groups? Is it here on excelforum.com or in a usergroup
somewhere?

--
clayton
clayton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4563
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493669

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clayton

Thank you Mr. Peterson. I will check those out. Your help is appreciated
:)

In the mean time, if anyone else can think of something that might help
in this situation please feel free to chime in.