Alan

Default Calculating Age of person on admission date

In cell A1 I have the admission date to a longterm care home- eg.
05/30/2001.
In cell B1 I have the birth date - eg. 02/23/1924.

Can some guru give me a calculation to put in cell C1 that will give me
the age (in years) of the individual when they entered as a resident??

Many thanks in advance,
Alan
Dave O

How exact do you need this? If you subtract birthdate from admission
date you'll get an integer number of days between the two dates. If
you don't need micrometer precision you could divide resulting days by
365, and derive a number of years. This method doesn't account for
leap years, for instance, but is substantially close.
=(a1-b1)/365

Sloth

=IF(AND(MONTH(A1)=MONTH(B1),DAY(A1)=DAY(B1)),YEA R(A1)-YEAR(B1),YEAR(A1)-YEAR(B1)-1)

This says if they entered after their birthday then subtract the two years.
Else subtract 1 from the difference of the two years.

If you are willing to sacrifice accuracy for simplicity, you could use..

=YEAR(A1)-YEAR(B1)

"Alan" wrote:

In cell A1 I have the admission date to a longterm care home- eg.
05/30/2001.
In cell B1 I have the birth date - eg. 02/23/1924.

Can some guru give me a calculation to put in cell C1 that will give me
the age (in years) of the individual when they entered as a resident??

Many thanks in advance,
Alan

Alan

Try
=(A1-B1)/365.25
Format as a number,
Regards,
Alan.
"Alan" wrote in message
. ..
In cell A1 I have the admission date to a longterm care home- eg.
05/30/2001.
In cell B1 I have the birth date - eg. 02/23/1924.

Can some guru give me a calculation to put in cell C1 that will give me
the age (in years) of the individual when they entered as a resident??

Many thanks in advance,
Alan

Domenic

Try...

=DATEDIF(B1,A1,"Y")

....which requires that the 'Analysis ToolPak' be enabled...

Tools Add-Ins and check 'Analysis ToolPak'

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Alan" wrote:

In cell A1 I have the admission date to a longterm care home- eg.
05/30/2001.
In cell B1 I have the birth date - eg. 02/23/1924.

Can some guru give me a calculation to put in cell C1 that will give me
the age (in years) of the individual when they entered as a resident??

Many thanks in advance,
Alan

saziz

Just adding accuracy to Sandy's formula;

=DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & "
months, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days"

This will give age in Years, Months & Days

This formula can go in anywhere on a spread sheet with input date in
A1

Syed

--
saziz
saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6350

Dave Peterson

I don't think that's part of the Analysis toolpak.

To the original poster:

You can find lots of info at Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

(=datedif() was only documented in xl2k's help.)

"Alan" wrote:

In cell A1 I have the admission date to a longterm care home- eg.
05/30/2001.
In cell B1 I have the birth date - eg. 02/23/1924.

Can some guru give me a calculation to put in cell C1 that will give me
the age (in years) of the individual when they entered as a resident??

Many thanks in advance,
Alan

--

Dave Peterson

Roger Govier

Hi Alan

One way
=DATEDIF(A1,B!,"y")

Regards

Roger Govier

Alan wrote:

In cell A1 I have the admission date to a longterm care home- eg.
05/30/2001.
In cell B1 I have the birth date - eg. 02/23/1924.

Can some guru give me a calculation to put in cell C1 that will give me
the age (in years) of the individual when they entered as a resident??

Many thanks in advance,
Alan

Roger Govier

Sorry Alan

Still sleepy, haven't had the first coffee yet!!
That should read
=DATEDIF(B1,A1,"y")

Regards

Roger Govier