ballb0y

Default A question of sorts

I have been using Excel to track my golf society scores for a couple of
years and it has served me well, however I would like to know if the
following is possible in Excel:

My players play a total of 10 events. After 6 events are completed each
player's scores are added together and a leaderboard is formed. As they
play more rounds, players who better their 6th worst score can move up
the table.

Although I can successfully calculate and sort the table of scores to
form a list (leaderboard) below in the spreadsheet, I do not know how
to link the player's name (which is in a separate cell) with the score
so it would appear as below. I have to do this manually.

John 199
Steve 196
Colin 188

Basically, is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
ballb0y
ballb0y's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27851

Biff

Hi!

This would require being able to see what you're actually doing. If you want
me to take a look at your file let me know how to contact you.

Biff

"ballb0y" wrote in
message ...

[...]

JR

....you could use a VLOOKUP formula based on the players' names. Type the
player names on the leader board tab, use the VLOOKUP to find the total score
on the score tab, sort the leader board.

"ballb0y" wrote:

[...]

Biff

What if there are duplicates?

More than one player with the same score?

Biff

"ballb0y" wrote:

[...]

View this thread:

ballb0y

I should expand a little. The way I order the Leaderboard is by using
the MAX formula (of a set of cells) for the leader and then the LARGE
formula (2nd thru to the end) for the rest. This gives me the correct
list.

What I would like to do is place the player name in the adjacent cell
so that it reads like a true leaderboard. So, in effect I need to link
2 explict cells, for example where Column A is player names; A1 for
John Kelleher, link it to cell K1, which is John's current score, and
be able to do this for each player/score.

Thanks for the posts.

--
ballb0y
ballb0y's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27851
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=473625

Biff

Hi!

Assume you have the leaderboard scores in the range AA1:AAn

To return the players names:

=INDEX(A$1:A$n,MATCH(AA$1,K$1:K$n,0))

Copy down as needed.

Note: this will not work properly if there are players with the same score.

Biff

"ballb0y" wrote in
message ...